Geographic Information Services (GIS)
The City of Raleigh Geographic Information Services (GIS) division provides city employees and the general public with mapping and analysis services and manages the city's enterprise GIS program.
Location and Hours
1 Exchange Plaza - Suite 807
Raleigh, NC 27601
Monday thru Friday from 8:00 am until 4:30 pm
Online Mapping Applications
GIS designs, develops, maintains and supports a variety of internal and external web based mapping applications to help citizens and city employees easily interact with geographic information and data and learn more about their community.
- Map Gallery - a collection of popular printable maps, some in multiple sizes, made available by the GIS group.
- Standard Mapping and Analysis - the GIS group provides basic mapping services, including printing large scale maps, to the general public for a minimal fee.
- Custom Mapping and Analysis - the GIS group provides custom mapping and analysis services to the general public on an hourly fee basis if their needs cannot be met by any of the previous methods.
Geographic Digital Data Management
The City has hundreds of layers of GIS data managed in a centralized database by the GIS division; this data is available to city employees and the public through a variety of methods, including the data download or on CD, and can be searched online via our Raleigh Geoportal.Learn More
Addressing and Property Records Management
GIS is responsible for address assignment and verifications; street name approval and street name changes; and creating and updating property records within City databases. The group provides addressing and land records subject matter expertise as part of the plan review and permit issuance processes and is also the point of contact and property records liaison with Wake County.
Outreach and Community Involvement
The Geographic Information Services (GIS) group of the Information Technology Department is involved in a wide variety of activities, associations, and events in order to promote a better understanding of GIS technology and its many and varied benefits and uses. The information below is provided to give a sampling of the activities and to provide additional information and resources for anyone interested in learning more about GIS.
- GIS Day, which is held annually and celebrated around the world, is devoted to GIS education and outreach. The City participates with Wake County and the State of North Carolina to provide an annual free event open to the general public.
- Neighborhood College - sponsored by the Raleigh Community Services Department twice a year and the GIS group teaches a class in each session, both showing how GIS is used throughout the City and conducting hands-on training in the use of the online mapping applications.
2010 - Special Achievement in GIS Award
History and Partnerships
The City implemented the enterprise GIS program in the early 1990's and all departments have access to geographic data and analysis capabilities through a variety of desktop and web based tools. GIS is used to support decision making and operational services by combining complex database analysis and map visualization to help explain events, predict outcomes and plan strategies. The City of Raleigh GIS group is in the Business Applications Division of the Information Technology Department.
The City of Raleigh and Wake County have a unique partnership which has been in place since the inception of the GIS program and provides immeasurable benefits to City and County staff and its citizens. Data sharing, application development and hosting, training and customer support are just a few of the areas where the organizations have worked together to reduce costs and provide better services.