Encroachment Process

Major and Minor Encroachments

Last updated Apr. 21, 2017 - 8:26 am

The encroachment process is available for clients that request to place structures or assets in the right-of-way, proposed building components that impact the right-of-way, or place temporary items in the right-of-way.

Major encroachments are permanent structures that impact the public right-of-way in any part of the City of Raleigh and its jurisdiction.  Major encroachments require City Council approval, following staff review.  Permits for the installation are required after Council approval.

Any major encroachment on NCDOT roads in Raleigh's jurisdiction must be approved through the NCDOT District Engineers Office, but will require permits and construction approval by the City of Raleigh

Minor encroachments are temporary items, located over or on the public right-of-way, that can be easily moved and are not permanently affixed to the right-of-way in the City of Raleigh. 

Minor encroachments that are proposed in the areas below follow the Standards for Private Use of Public Spaces (PUPS) process

  • Downtown Overlay District
  • Glenwood South Business Districts
  • North Person Street Business District
  • Peace Street Business District
  • Sections of Hillsborough Street

Requests for any Minor encroachments are reviewed and approved City staff.

Major Encroachment Pre-Submittal Review

Staff recognizes that there is an increased amount of construction occurring in the public right-of-way. In an effort to identify major issues prior to design and drawing finalization, we offer an encroachment pre-submittal review prior to the official major encroachment application. This is not a detailed review and only serves as guidance.

  • Drawings and any support information must be sent to
  • You may submit an iMAPS drawing or a sketched plan of any proposed encroachment location.
  • All proposed telecommunication devices and their infrastructure must be reviewed prior to official submittal.
  • Any proposed cell towers require coordinates (x,y or lat/long).
  • Clients may download a Pre-submittal Checklist for any questions.

Approvals or Permits Issued

  • Zoning permits for minor encroachments
  • Encroachment agreements for major encroachments (This is a City Council approval only, not a permit)

Submittal Requirements

Major Encroachments

Deliver submittal package to One Exchange Plaza, 1 Exchange Plaza, Suite 304, Raleigh, N.C. 27601.

The submittal package must include:

  • Five copies of Major Encroachment Application
  • Five sets of the Major Encroachment Resolution 1996-153, signed and dated
  • Five sets of detailed engineering plans with a copy of the completed application and resolution stapled to each. Plans must show locations of existing trees, fences and walls as well as items to be placed in the right-of-way. If the encroachment involves excavation, plans must show the location of existing utilities
  • One entire submittal package in .pdf format. All images must be 8.5-by-11 and must be black and white. This .pdf may be submitted by email to or delivered on a CD with the submittal package
  • $100 processing fee
Minor Encroachments

Deliver submittal package to 1 Exchange Plaza, Suite 504, Raleigh, N.C. 27601. If the encroachment involves awnings or signs, deliver submittal package to 1 Exchange Plaza, Suite 404, Raleigh, N.C. 27601.

The package must include:

  • Minor Encroachment Application
  • Indemnity Agreement releasing the City of Raleigh from liability for damages incurred by clients using the public right-of-way
  • Certificate of Liability Insurance. Applicant must have $1 million in liability insurance, with the City of Raleigh named as the certificate holder
  • Scaled drawing showing the proposed placement of items in the right-of-way
Required for Some Projects
  • Certificate of Appropriateness for some encroachments if site is in a historic district
  • If the encroachment involves excavation, please show the location of existing utilities for the area of the encroachment

Expected Processing Time

  • Six (6) weeks for major encroachments
  • Approximately two (2) business days for minor encroachments


Major Encroachments:

  • $100 processing fee due with the submittal package
  • $70 Administrative fee due upon receipt of encroachment agreement
  • Payment types accepted are cash, MasterCard, Visa or check made payable to: City of Raleigh.

Minor Encroachments:

Next Steps

When a major encroachment has been approved by City Council it must be submitted for plan review and permitting through the Development Services Customer Service Center.

Was this page helpful?

Forbes named Raleigh

7th - "America's Smartest Cities"

View our accolades >>