Property owners must obtain approval to encroach on the public right-of-way for private uses such as landscaping, structures, tables and seating. The encroachment review process ensures the health and safety of the public and protects against damage to the streetscape, trees and vegetation, sidewalks and other public amenities.
Encroachments are defined as major or minor.
Major encroachments are permanent structures for private use on public right-of-way in any part of the City. Examples include landscaping and cable and data transmission lines. City Council reviews and approves major encroachments following staff reviews.
Minor encroachments are temporary items for private use on public right-of-way. Examples include outdoor dining tables, awnings and street vending carts. Minor encroachments are permitted in these areas: Downtown Overlay District, Glenwood South Business Districts, North Person Street Business District, Peace Street Business District and sections of Hillsborough Street. Requests for minor encroachments are reviewed and approved City staff.
Approvals or Permits Issued
- Zoning permits for minor encroachments
- Encroachment agreements for major encroachments (This is a City Council approval only, not a permit)
Deliver submittal package to One Exchange Plaza, 1 Exchange Plaza, Suite 304, Raleigh, N.C. 27601.
Deliver submittal package to One Exchange Plaza, 1 Exchange Plaza, Suite 504, Raleigh, N.C. 27601. If the encroachment involves awnings or signs, deliver submittal package to One Exchange Plaza, 1 Exchange Plaza, Suite 404, Raleigh, N.C. 27601.
|Required for Some Projects|
Expected Processing Time
- Six (6) weeks for major encroachments
- Approximately two (2) business days for minor encroachments
- $100 processing fee due with the submittal package
- $70 Administrative fee due upon receipt of encroachment agreement
- $0.48 Annual fee per linear foot for transmission devices due upon receipt of encroachment agreement
- 3.09% License fee per gross revenues on fiber optic cable due upon receipt of encroachment agreement
- Payment types accepted are cash, MasterCard, Visa or check made payable to: City of Raleigh.
When an encroachment has been approved by City Council it must be submitted for plan review and permitting through the Development Services Customer Service Center.