Major and Minor Encroachments
The encroachment process is available for clients that request to place structures or assets in the right-of-way, proposed building components
that impact the right-of-way, or place temporary items in the right-of-way.
Major encroachments are permanent structures that impact the public right-of-way in any part of the City of Raleigh and its jurisdiction. Major encroachments require City Council approval, following staff review. Permits for the installation are required after Council approval.
Any major encroachment on NCDOT roads in Raleigh's jurisdiction must be approved through the NCDOT District Engineers Office, but will require permits and construction approval by the City of Raleigh
Minor encroachments are temporary items, located over or on the public right-of-way, that can be easily moved and are not permanently affixed to the right-of-way in the City of Raleigh.
Minor encroachments that are proposed in the areas below follow the Standards for Private Use of Public Spaces (PUPS) process
- Downtown Overlay District
- Glenwood South Business Districts
- North Person Street Business District
- Peace Street Business District
- Sections of Hillsborough Street
Requests for any Minor encroachments are reviewed and approved City staff.
Major Encroachment Pre-Submittal Review
Staff recognizes that there is an increased amount of construction occurring in the public right-of-way. In an effort to identify major issues prior to design and drawing finalization, we offer an encroachment pre-submittal review prior to the official major encroachment application. This is not a detailed review and only serves as guidance.
- Drawings and any support information must be sent to Encroachment@raleighnc.gov.
- You may submit an iMAPS drawing or a sketched plan of any proposed encroachment location.
- All proposed telecommunication devices and their infrastructure must be reviewed prior to official submittal.
- Any proposed cell towers require coordinates (x,y or lat/long).
- Clients may download a Pre-submittal Checklist for any questions.
Approvals or Permits Issued
- Zoning permits for minor encroachments
- Encroachment agreements for major encroachments (This is a City Council approval only, not a permit)
Deliver submittal package to One Exchange Plaza, 1 Exchange Plaza, Suite 304, Raleigh, N.C. 27601.
Deliver submittal package to 1 Exchange Plaza, Suite 504, Raleigh, N.C. 27601. If the encroachment involves awnings or signs, deliver submittal package to 1 Exchange Plaza, Suite 404, Raleigh, N.C. 27601.
|Required for Some Projects|
Expected Processing Time
- Six (6) weeks for major encroachments
- Approximately two (2) business days for minor encroachments
- $100 processing fee due with the submittal package
- $70 Administrative fee due upon receipt of encroachment agreement
- Payment types accepted are cash, MasterCard, Visa or check made payable to: City of Raleigh.
When a major encroachment has been approved by City Council it must be submitted for plan review and permitting through the Development Services Customer Service Center.