The After-Hours Inspections program provides contractors and homeowners with code-certified inspectors outside our normal business hours of 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
Projects eligible for after-hours inspections are:
- New construction
- Interior completions
- Change of use
- Shell buildings
- Single-family dwellings
After-hours inspections are only for non-emergencies. The contractor's representative must be on site with job plans, a permit card, and a list of areas needing inspections.
After-hours inspections are scheduled based on the availability of inspectors. A two-day notice is generally required for after-hours inspections. Trade group supervisors in Inspections may waive this requirement at their discretion.
- An applicant must have a valid permit before scheduling an after-hours inspection
- All work must be complete and ready for inspection
Approvals or Permits Issued
Decision on inspection, approved or denied
|Required for Submittal|
Expected Processing Time
The process is completed on the day of inspection.
- $125 per hour for each trade inspector for commercial projects
- $75 per hour for each trade inspector or multi-trade inspector for residential projects
- A two-hour minimum is required when an inspector performs an after-hours inspection at the end of a normal workday without having to go home first. Otherwise, a three-hour minimum is required.
- Fees are refundable for inspections cancelled by 3 p.m. on the day of the scheduled inspection
- The Development Services Customer Service Center processes payments
- Payment types include cash, MasterCard, Visa or check made payable to the City of Raleigh
Contact the supervisor of the specific trade an inspection is needed for to schedule:
||Chief Building Official
||Building Trade Group Supervisor||919-996-2445||919-278-6212|
|Jay Daunoy||Electrical Trade Group Supervisor
|Jerry Fraker||Plumbing Trade Group Supervisor
||Mechanical Trade Group Supervisor