Preliminary Expedited Subdivision
The Preliminary Expedited Subdivision Plan Approval Process provides staff approval of preliminary subdivision plans for residential and nonresidential developments in a face to face setting.
Schedule a Pre-Application Conference by filling out the Pre-Application Conference form and email the form to the appropriate staff member listed on the form.
Approvals or Permits Issued
Approval of Preliminary Subdivision with Letter of Decision.
Key Steps in the Process
- Schedule the plan review meeting
Call a Scheduling Coordinator at 919-996-2571; 919-996-2570 to schedule a tentative date for the first plan review meeting. Review sessions are scheduled from 9 a.m. to noon Thursdays on the fourth floor of One Exchange Plaza.
- Complete a Preliminary Subdivision Plan Application
The Preliminary Subdivision Plan Application must be received by mail, fax or email within 48 hours of when you make a request for a tentative date.
- Submit plans and make payment prior to plan review meeting
Submit ten complete sets of preliminary plans at least ten business days prior to the plan review date.
- Arrive at or before the scheduled time
Ensure that all the key members of your design and ownership team attend the meeting and are on time.
- Participate in Plan
A team leader records the proceedings of the first plan review, listing all issues to be addressed before the next review cycle. Within 24 hours after the first meeting, the staff emails a Preliminary Plans Review Comments Sheet to the applicant and owner. This plan review documentation serves as the basis for the final plan review cycle, if needed.
- Schedule final review
Schedule the final review when you are ready to submit a set of revised plans. Plans must be received by mail, fax or email within 48 hours of scheduling to confirm the review time and date.
- Attend the final
Upon completion of the review session, you receive a list of all issues identified previously with information about whether they have been resolved. If the comments have been addressed, you receive an administrative approval letter. The City provides a letter of decision within three business days of the review.
Expected Processing Time
- Review is scheduled ten business days from the date plans are submitted
- Comments are provided within 24 hours of the review session
- A letter of decision takes three additional business days, if all issues are resolved
Plan review fee:
$800 per hour, with a minimum fee of one hour
$200 per additional 15-minute increment
- Reviews are expected to last 1-3 hours depending on the scope of the project
- Payments for the first hour ($800) must be included in the submittal package to reserve the requested date
- If additional time is needed, the balance will be due on the date of the review
- The Development Services Customer Service Center processes payments
- Payment types include cash, MasterCard, Visa or check made payable to the City of Raleigh
$500 per hour, with a minimum fee of one hour
$125 per additional 15-minute increment
- Site review or Infrastructure Construction
- Lot recordation