Right-of-Way Permits

Site Accessibility, Travel Lane and Sidewalk Closures

Last Modified: December 19, 2013

These are permits that are issued when work is proposed in the public right of way. Construction projects that affect property owned or controlled by the City, such as streets, sidewalks and parking lanes, generally require Right-of-Way Permits. Commercial projects that involve closing traffic or parking lanes for more than 30 days must have City Council approval.

Multiple City departments are involved in issuing Right-of-Way Permits.

Inspections Department

The Inspections Department issues Right-of-Way permits for projects that require pedestrian tunnel construction. Contact Steve Luxton 919-996-2183, Tom Baird 919-996-2187 or Charles Hill 919-996-2188 for questions regarding the following permits:

  • Retaining walls
  • Construction site safeguards for pedestrians
  • Covered walkways (pedestrian sidewalk re-routing)
  • Construction fencing
  • Ramps

Public Utilities Department

The Public Utilities Department issues Stub Permits. Contact Brian Casey 919-996-2176 for questions regarding stub permits.

Public Works Department

The Public Works Department issues permits for:

  • Temporary street closures involving parking lanes - Contact Sherry Beville at 919-996-3030 located at Raleigh Municipal Building 222 W. Hargett Street, 4th floor, Raleigh NC. Most projects requiring parking lane closure for less than four weeks do not require City Council approval. If expected project duration requires parking lane closure to extend beyond four weeks, please allow 6-8 weeks for City Council approval.
  • Temporary street closure permits - Contact Terry Phinizy or Brandon Watson at 919-996-4043 located at Raleigh Municipal Building 222 W. Hargett Street, 4th Floor, Raleigh NC. Lane closures that do not completely close the street can be approved administratively by staff and do not require City Council approval
  • Driveways - Contact Rene Haagen at 919-996-2483. Reviews of site and plot plans cover these elements: driveway locations and quantities, thoroughfare conflicts, parking lot layout, dumpster operation and placement, traffic signing, striping and control devices, vehicular stacking space areas, parking structures and internal traffic circulation details. See Driveway Cuts for information regarding right-of-way permits for residential driveways.

Transportation Field Services Division

Contact the Transportation Field Services Division at 919-996-6446 or Kenneth Ritchie at 919-996-2409 for questions regarding the following permits:

  • Street Cut Permits
  • Pedestrian Street Crossing
  • Sidewalk Access and Closures
  • Barricade enforcement
  • Handicap accessibility
  • Signage

Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources Department

The Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources Department issues:

  • Tree Impact Permits for activities affecting trees on City property and rights-of-ways. This includes activities such as planting, removal, pruning, trenching, boring, excavating, filling, fertilizing, treating for disease or insects, installing decorations and planting.



Approvals or Permits Issued

Permit to commence with proposed work in the Right-of-Ways

Submittal Requirements

Required for Submittal

For commercial projects, submit documents to the Development Services Customer Service Center. Applications for Right-of-Way Permits associated with Commercial Building projects may be submitted in advance or as part of the Building Plans Submittal Package.

Required for all projects
  • Permit Application (doc) (pdf) (Complete the right-of-way section)
  • Four sets of 11 X 14 plans for commercial projects that encroach into the City right-of-way. Plans must show:
    • Location of building, sidewalks, on-street parking, eight-foot chain-link fence, covered sidewalk, traffic merge cone and buildings affected by barricades or fences
    • Direction of travel lanes
    • Description of improvements 100 feet to either side of the site
    • Details of covered construction in accordance with the NC State Building Code, Chapter 33
    • Site accessibility/ADA requirements in accordance with the NC Building Code and Section 10-2091, Pedestrian Access Chapter of the Raleigh City Code
    • Barricades
    • Traffic merge cones
    • Businesses affected by barricades and/or fences
  • Contractor Bond Form
Required for some projects

Additional Information

Expected Processing Time

Same day as requested, often 30 minutes

Six to eight weeks for street closures requiring City Council approval


Next Steps

Obtain other applicable site permits.

Was this page helpful?

Forbes named Raleigh

Second in “Next Biggest Boom Town” List

View our accolades >>