City Council may amend the City Code, or laws of the City, to address new development trends or to correct issues with existing language in the code. These changes are also known as text amendments.
Citizens, City staff and members of City Council can request changes in the City Code. City Council must hold a public hearing before amending the code.
Schedule a Pre-Application Conference by filling out the Pre-Application Conference form and email the form to the appropriate staff member listed on the form.
Approvals or Permits Issued
City Council approval, approval as revised, or denied.
Key Steps in the Process
- Schedule a Pre-Application Conference by filling out the Pre-Application Conference form and email the form to the appropriate staff member listed on the form.
- A citizen submits a Text Change Application and related documents to the City Clerk's office. Petitions are due by noon on the Tuesday preceding a City Council meeting. City Council meets the first and third Tuesday of each month.
- City Council generally decides in one or two meetings whether to authorize the submittal of a text change.
- If Council authorizes submittal of a text change, staff reviews the proposal and sends it to the Planning Commission.
- The Text Change Committee of the Planning Commission reviews the proposed change and makes a recommendation. The Planning Commission has 90 days to report its recommendation back to the City Council.
- The City Council will receive the recomendaiton of the Planning Commission and conduct a public hearing.
- City Council approves, approves as revised, or denies the text change proposal. However, if a vote in support of the motion fails to achieve a three-fourths majority, a second vote is required at the next City Council meeting. A simple majority on the second vote makes the action final.
- If approved, the text change amendment typically becomes effective five days after the approval.
Expected Processing Time
Processing time varies based on the complexity of the text change. Simple requests can be processed in 2-3 months, while more complex requests can take longer.
View the list of Finalized Text Changes that City Council has taken action on.