Water & Wastewater Treatment Plant Tours
Do you know how water gets to your faucet and the processes that happen to ensure its quality and safety?
Have you ever wondered what happens to the dirty water from your shower, bath, laundry and toilet after it goes down the drain?
We invite you to take a free tour of our water or wastewater treatment plants to find out how our utility system works.
- Plant tours are free of charge
- Tours take 1 to 3 hours depending on which plant tour you select
- Open to all aged 10 years and above
- Available for groups up to 20 people
- Attendees over 18 years of age must present a valid photo ID on the day of the tour
The plants are functioning industrial sites operating 24-hours a day, seven days a week. Sturdy closed shoes, socks and long pants are required for both your safety and comfort. No flip-flops, sandals, clogs, open toed shoes, shorts, or skirts are allowed. Details are covered in the Tour Guidelines.
Please be advised that due to security issues, we reserve the right to refuse anyone from taking part in a tour. We also reserve the right to cancel tours in the event of a plant or City emergency or inclement weather.
While some tours involve quite a bit of walking, climbing stairs, in tight hallways and tunnels, we can change the route to accommodate wheel chairs, canes, and walkers.
Tour Forms and Online Request
Thank you for your interest in touring the City of Raleigh's water or wastewater treatment plants. Please allow two weeks advance notice of your requested tour date to accommodate plant staff notification and proper scheduling at our facilities. We look forward to providing you with an interesting, informative and worthwhile experience.
- Review Plant Tour Guidelines
- Complete Plant Tour Online Request (you will be required to enter a list of attendees as part of the application)
- Day of the tour - Bring completed Release of Liability Forms from all attendees (required)