Existing System Overview
Neuse River Trail at Falls Lake
existing system overview
Greenway network observations included a sampling
of the overall Capital Area Greenway System by the
consultant by foot and bicycle.
Specific greenway trail
findings can be found in Section 6.2 of the Appendix.
Individual greenway notes are provided for each segment
Access and Connectivity:
• What amenities and destinations are nearby?
• Is there connectivity to adjacent sidewalks and bike lanes?
• Are there connections to additional trails?
• Is the greenway accessible?
Use and Activities:
• Is there a good mix of uses?
• What is the observed level of use?
• Are there any potentials for user conflicts?
• Is there appropriate signage and wayfinding?
• Are sight lines and clear views provided?
• Are crosswalks sufficiently marked?
• Are there pedestrian signals at intersections?
• What is the condition and type of lighting?
• Are seating options provided along greenway?
• Is there parking provided where appropriate?
• Are bicycle parking facilities provided?
• Are there restrooms provided?
• Is there a wayfinding system established or implemented?
• What type of landscape is provided, and is it sustainable,
native or low maintenance?
• How is stormwater and drainage treated?
• Is the greenway clean and maintained well?
• What is the condition of the greenway tread?
• Are shoulders provided where appropriate?
Results of the individual greenway observations can
be found in
. A sampling of the Capital Area
Greenway System was observed by the consultant team
over a one week period in October, 2012. Observations
help identify the strengths, weaknesses and opportunities
for improvements for system wide issues as well as specific
identifies greenway trails observed
by the System Plan team.
2.5.1 Individual Greenway Analysis