City Clerk's Office
The City Clerk's Office has the following responsibilities:
- Attends all meetings of the council and its committees and records official actions
- Acts as custodian of all legal documents pertaining to the City
- Prepares and publishes City ordinances, resolutions and notices of public hearings, as required by law
- Assists in preparation of the City Council agenda (PDF format, contains links to supporting documentation; linked PDF files may be large in size)
- Prepares and distributes committee meeting agendas
- Notifies persons scheduled to appear before City Council and committees
- Codifies the City Code
- Administers oaths of office
- Serves as notary public for the City
- Tracks and coordinates City Council appointments to their advisory boards
- Schedules citizens for appearance before City Council
- Provides information concerning Council activities
- Receives and processes applications for the Civil Service Commission and provides staff assistance to the board.
City Council and Committees
Petition to Address City Council
Raleigh City Council encourages citizen input. One of the ways to provide such input is to petition to address the City Council during a Council meeting. Comments and requests from citizens are heard during the 7 p.m. Council meeting on the first Tuesday of the month and starting at 2 p.m. of the 1 p.m. Council meeting on the third Tuesday of the month.
To schedule an appearance before Council please submit a Request & Petition of Citizens to City of Raleigh Council form to the City Clerk by 12 p.m. on Tuesday of the week preceding the scheduled Council meeting. Additional support information should be submitted along with the request.
The request form contains completion and submission directions.
It is not necessary to submit a request to speak during scheduled public hearings.