Stormwater Quality Cost Share Program
Financial assistance to install stormwater projects
The City of Raleigh's Stormwater Utility Division offers a Stormwater Quality Cost Share Program to homeowners, businesses, and public or government agencies wanting to improve the quality of stormwater runoff on their property.
Examples of projects considered as improvements to the water quality of Raleigh's streams and lakes include:
- Rain gardens and bioretention devices
- Back yard wetlands and stormwater wetlands
- Green roofs
- Underground infiltration devices
- Permeable pavement
- Removal and/or conversion of impervious surfaces
- Stream buffer restoration/critical planting
- Stream restoration and shoreline restoration
Program Eligibility Requirements
- Any landowner, including residential, commercial, or public entity, paying the stormwater utility fee is eligible to petition for assistance in this program.
- If the proposed project is part of new construction of the property, it must provide water quality benefits exceeding current regulatory requirements for stormwater management.
- Projects receiving cost share funding will not be eligible for credits included in the City of Raleigh Stormwater Utility Credit and Adjustment Manual. However, these projects may be eligible for an adjustment based on reductions in impervious area or the use of semi-impervious surfaces.
Cost Share Funding Options Available for the Petitioner
The City's funding portion will be based on the least cost alternative for the proposed project.
There are two different cost share formulas available for petitioners.
- If the petitioner agrees to maintain the project to ensure it functions properly for 5 years, the cost share formula will be 50% City and 50% property owner.
- If the petitioner agrees to maintain the project to ensure it functions properly for 10 years, the cost share formula will be 75% City and 25% property owner.
Complete petition requests include all information, studies, etc., necessary for staff review. Petition requests that are not complete may be deferred to the next review cycle.
Review Process for Petition Requests for Funding Assistance
- A completed Funding Assistance Request Form is required to evaluate the request for cost share assistance from the City.
- Upon review and evaluation by Stormwater Utility staff, the petition request is scheduled for the next available Stormwater Management Advisory Commission (SMAC) meeting.
- Petition requests are reviewed by the SMAC on a quarterly basis throughout the year. Complete petition requests are due at least two weeks prior the scheduled SMAC meeting.
- The SMAC reviews petition requests and provides recommendations to the City Council.
- The City Council may approve, deny, hold for future consideration, or request additional information concerning the petition request.
|Deadline to submit
|Review Date by
|Review Date by
|2nd Friday in December||1st Thursday in January||1st Tuesday in February|
|2nd Friday in March||1st Thursday in April||1st Tuesday in May|
|2nd Friday in June||1st Thursday in July||1st Tuesday in August|
|2nd Friday in September||1st Thursday in October||1st Tuesday in November|
Approval and Next Steps
If the project is approved by the City Council, the petitioner is asked to sign an agreement ensuring the agreed upon maintenance period of the project. The petitioner is also asked to submit annual reports demonstrating the project is continuing to function as intended.
Projects are prioritized based on whether they are located within an impaired watershed and on the project's overall cost/benefit regarding pollutant removal.
The improvement project can be managed by City Stormwater Utility staff or can be managed by the property owner with City Stormwater Utility funding provided as a reimbursement after installation is complete.
Design and construction time frames will depend on staff availability and available City funding. If the project is managed by the property owner, the City will need to approve all designs and inspect all work necessary for the project.
Contact Stormwater Utility at 919-996-3940 or StormwaterUtilityHelpingU@raleighnc.gov