Shred and Recycle It
Free Opportunities to Shred Sensitive Documents
The City of Raleigh holds two "shred and recycle" events each year. A spring event is usually held in April to coincide with Earth Day while a fall event is held in November to celebrate America Recycles Day. These events give an opportunity for Raleigh area residents and small businesses to protect themselves from identity theft by disposing of confidential documents in an environmentally responsible way.
The next shred event is "Wake County Recycling Day" on Saturday, November 19, 2016, from 10 am to 2 pm. This event will occur at the north Wake Multi-Material Facility at 9029 Deponie Drive. Participants can also bring electronics for recycling and household hazardous waste for safe disposal.
Here's what you need to know to "shred and recycle" at this event:
- Bring up to three boxes or bags of documents per person. Boxes should be no larger than "banker boxes," which are 24"long, 12"wide and 10" deep.
- Please only bring paper that should be shredded. Before participating in a shred event, learn about the types of paper you should shred. Most junk mail, except pre-approved credit card offers, does not need to be shredded. Magazines and catalogs should be recycled.
- Bring computers, TVs, phones and other electronic devices for recycling.
- Remember to remove sensitive data from hard drives and phones before recycling.
- This is a drive-through event. Our staff will unload your materials and take them to the shredding truck. Heavy traffic is expected at this event and you will not be able to walk to the truck to watch your documents being shredded.
- Small businesses, nonprofits, churches, and individuals are welcome to participate.
Did you know? "Shred and recycle" events continue to grow in popularity. Consider how much paper has been collected at past events: (amounts are in tons)
- Spring Event: 6.00 (2015), 12.38 (2014), 7.60 (2013), 8.10 (2012), 5.00 (2011), 7.89 (2010)
- Fall Event: 4.5 (2015) 9.5 (2014), 13.82 (2013), 7.00 (2012), 6.00 (2011), 5.69 (2010), 4.99 (2009), 3.25 (2008), 2.90 (2007)
- Drive Through Only
- Nov 19, 2016
- 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- North Wake Multi-Material Facility
- 9029 Deponie Drive
- Raleigh, NC 27614