Shred and Recycle It
Free Opportunities to Shred Sensitive Documents
The City of Raleigh holds two "shred and recycle" events each year: one in the spring (near Earth Day) and one in the fall (in conjunction with America Recycles Day). These events give an opportunity for Raleigh area residents to dispose of sensitive documents in an environmentally smart way.
The next shred event is scheduled for this Saturday, April 26, from 8 a.m. until 12 p.m., at Oak Park Shopping Center, 6001 Glenwood Avenue. The event will close promptly at noon. Drive through between 8:00 am and 10:00 am for the quickest service.
Here's what you need to know to participate:
- Bring up to three boxes ("banker box" size) or bags of paper per person. We limit the amount of material per person to ensure that as many residents who wish to participate may do so.
- Please only bring paper that should be shredded. Before participating in a shred event, learn about the types of paper you should shred. Most junk mail -- with the exception of credit card offers -- does not need to be shredded. We will not accept magazines, phone books, catalogs, etc. for shredding.
- Do not get out of your car. Our staff will unload your materials and take them to the shredder. Documents will be shredded on site. After dropping off your materials, you are welcome to observe the shredding process. However, we ask that you move your vehicle to a side parking space to allow others to move through the drop off line.
- Small businesses, nonprofits, churches, and individuals are welcome to participate.
- Walk ups are not allowed. For your safety and to ensure everyone is treated fairly, please drive through the line.
- There is no cost for this service.
If your question is not answered by the information above, call Linda Leighton, Raleigh's Waste Reduction Specialist, at 919-996-6871.
Did you know? Shred & recycle events continue to grow in popularity. Consider how much paper has been collected at past events: (answers are in tons)
- Spring Event: 7.60 (2013) 8.10 (2012), 5.00 (2011), 7.89 (2010)
- Fall Event: 13.82 (2013), 7.00 (2012), 6.00 (2011), 5.69 (2010), 4.99 (2009), 3.25 (2008), 2.90 (2007)
- Apr 26, 2014
- 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Oak Park Shopping Center
- 6001 Glenwood Avenue
- Raleigh, NC 27612
For more information, contact
- Linda Leighton, Waste Reduction Specialist - 919-996-6871