Shred and Recycle It
Free Opportunities to Shred Sensitive Documents
The City of Raleigh holds two "shred and recycle" events each year. A spring event is usually held in April to coincide with Earth Day while a fall event is held in November to celebrate America Recycles Day. These events give an opportunity for Raleigh area residents and small businesses to protect themselves from identity theft by disposing of confidential documents in an environmentally responsible way.
The most recent shred event was held November 14, 2015. There are no events scheduled at this time.
Here's what you need to know to participate in a City-sponsored "shred and recycle" event:
- Bring up to three boxes ("banker box" size) or bags of paper per person. We limit the amount of material per person to ensure that as many residents who wish to participate may do so. The event may end early if the truck fills up.
- Please only bring paper that should be shredded. Before participating in a shred event, learn about the types of paper you should shred. Most junk mail -- with the exception of credit card offers -- does not need to be shredded. We will not accept magazines, phone books, catalogs, etc. for shredding; these items should be recycled in your curbside recycling container.
- Walk ups are not allowed. For your safety and to ensure everyone is treated fairly, please drive through the line and do not get out of your car. Our staff will unload your materials and take them to the shredder. Documents will be shredded on site. After dropping off your materials, you are welcome to observe the shredding process. However, we ask that you move your vehicle to a side parking space to allow others to move through the drop off line.
- Small businesses, nonprofits, churches, and individuals are welcome to participate.
- ProShred Security is donating shredding services for this event.
- Consider bringing gently used household furnishings and building materials for donation to the Habitat ReStore. View a list of accepted donations.
Did you know? "Shred and recycle" events continue to grow in popularity. Consider how much paper has been collected at past events: (amounts are in tons)
- Spring Event: 6.00 (2015), 12.38 (2014), 7.60 (2013), 8.10 (2012), 5.00 (2011), 7.89 (2010)
- Fall Event: 4.5 (2015) 9.5 (2014), 13.82 (2013), 7.00 (2012), 6.00 (2011), 5.69 (2010), 4.99 (2009), 3.25 (2008), 2.90 (2007)
- Nov 14, 2015
- 8:00 am - 11:00 am
- Habitat Wake ReStore - Raleigh
- 2420 N. Raleigh Blvd
- Raleigh, NC 27604