Human Resources Department
The Human Resources Department is responsible for the formulation and administration of personnel policies; recruitment, referral, and selection of applicants to fill city jobs; administration of the position classification and pay plan; coordination of organizational developmental training and career development programs; administration of employee benefit programs; and direction of Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action efforts. The department also administers the safety, employee relations and Health and Wellness programs.
View Employment Opportunities | Our 24-hour job line: 919-996-3305
Raleigh is a progressive City municipality that employs approximately 3,000 full-time employees from all over the Triangle and surrounding areas, including Wake, Durham, Nash, Franklin, Johnston, Harnett and Orange counties. We offer positions in the following areas: Administrative, Clerical, Professional, Temporary Clerical Assignments, Technical, Public Safety, Equipment Operators, Service Specialists, Maintenance, Volunteer and Internships. Be it education, technology, medicine, finance, government, retail, publishing or the arts Raleigh welcomes those with energy and aspirations.
- Raleigh is routinely cited as one of the nation's most hospitable areas for starting a business, expanding a business or being a part of the exciting working world.
- More than 74 percent of Raleigh enjoys the rewards and vitality of being part of the labor force. The national average is about 64 percent.
- This makes for a bustling city where 31 percent of the households earn more than $75,000 annually, compared to the national average of 26.6 percent.
The City of Raleigh is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, creed, age, disability, sexual orientation or national origin.
We offer a safe, healthy, and substance abuse free workplace. Final candidates are subject to a background check and controlled substance test.
Competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package are included.
- Vacation Leave - 12 or more days earned per year.
- Sick Leave - 12 days earned per year. Up to one year additional sick leave.
- Petty Leave - Up to 12 hours per year may be used.
- Holidays - 11 paid holidays per year.
- Medical Coverage - Portion of employee's medical coverage paid for by the City.
- Dental Coverage - Employee's dental coverage paid for by the City.
- Life Insurance - Employee's life insurance paid for by the City.
- Merit Pay - Periodic pay adjustments based upon job performance.
- Retirement - The City provides a contribution to the North Carolina Local Government Employees' Retirement System, and provides for optional supplemental retirement plans.
The City of Raleigh complies with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. All employees must provide documentation to verify identity and employment eligibility within the first three days of employment with the City of Raleigh. In accordance with Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Raleigh will consider reasonable accommodation if requested. The City of Raleigh is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, creed, age, disability, sexual orientation, or national origin.
- We are courteous and respectful
- We conduct ourselves in a professional and responsive manner
- We display fair, equitable and consistent treatment for all of our customers
- We are knowledgeable, accurate and efficient in serving our customers
The commitment of the City of Raleigh Human Resources Department is to fairly and equitably support the human resource needs of the organization, the individual needs of employees in the context of their employment, and to develop, administer and enforce organizational rules and regulations which are based on City, State, and Federal laws and guidelines.