Payment Plans for Unpaid Utility Bills
Need more time to pay your City of Raleigh utility bill?
As a courtesy to customers with unpaid utility bills, the City of Raleigh Utility Billing Division may grant up to two (2) payment plans per account during any rolling 12-month period.
- No more than two (2) payment plans per account during the past 12-month period.
- Customer may be required to make a partial payment on the account prior to establishing a payment plan.
- All past due charges, including those associated with a payment plan, will be subject to late payment charges.
- In addition to keeping payment plan installments current, all new and future charges must also be paid on time, including late fees.
- Payment plans must be requested prior to disconnection of service. If service is disconnected, or if a disconnection notice tag has been left at the premise, the account DOES NOT QUALIFY for a payment plan.
Request a Payment Plan
Customers can request one of the following types of payment plans by contacting a Utility Billing Account Manager by email or call 919-890-3245 Monday - Friday between 8:30 am and 5:00 pm:
- Extend the original due date
- Set up multiple payment installments
- Special extension - Related to Leaks
- Special extension - Back Billing
When the payment plan has been agreed upon between the customer and the Utility Billing Account Manager, the Account Manager will confirm each payment amount due and each due date with the customer. A payment plan confirmation notice will also be mailed to the customer's billing address.
Defaulting on a Utility Payment Plan
Any of the following constitutes "Default":
- Failure to pay a payment plan installment on or before the installment due date
- Payment amount is less than the agreed-upon payment installment
- Failure to pay the full amount of new/future charges (not associated to the payment plan) on or before the due date
Consequences of default:
- No further payment plans will be established during the next twelve (12) months
- Collection processes will begin immediately on any past due amount. This can include disconnection of utility services, referral to a collection agency and/or referral to the North Carolina Debt Setoff Program.
For your reference, the City's ordinances regarding disconnection of service for non-payment can be found at The Code of the City of Raleigh.
Special Extension Periods
There are two (2) situations where payment plans may be established with special extension periods:
- Leak Not Eligible for Adjustment - When a leak on a property does not fall within the City's policy for a leak adjustment, a payment plan may be allowed for up to six (6) months.
- Back Billing -An account that requires back billing for up to three years may have a payment plan established for an equal amount of time as the back billing period.
Don't wait until services are disconnected!
If the account has already been disconnected due to non-payment, or if a trip has been made to the premise to turn service off and/or to hang a disconnect notification tag, full payment must be received before utility services can be reinstated.
A payment plan will NOT be established after the disconnection process has begun.