Utility Billing Customer Service
We are committed to excellent customer service through these convenient options:
- Online account access
- Easy payment options
- Automated voice response
- Email communications
- Online feedback
- Customer Care representatives by phone
- Raleigh Municipal Building utility payment counter
To change the name on an existing account, please call a Utility Billing Customer Care representative at 919-890-3245 who will assist you. Be prepared to provide:
- Utility account number and/or service address
- Former name on file for account holder
- Former security number (or other identifying number) on file for account holder
- New name for account holder
- Social Security number (or other identifying number) for new account holder
- Mailing address
- Phone number
- Reason for name change
- Effective date of the change
Additional fees that may be applied to the account:
- Deposit of $50.00
- Service initiation fee of $50.00
If the Account Holder is Deceased...
It is unlawful to retain a utility account in the name of a deceased person.
The account must be closed and a new account opened in the name of the responsible party (i.e., the surviving spouse or family member, an estate or trust, etc.).
In addition to the items listed above, you may be asked to provide copies of:
- Death certificate
- Court documents
- Testamentary letter
- Any other affidavit or document from the court that verifies that an estate exists and/or designates the executor's name and address
A deposit of $50 may still be required. However, the service initiation fee of $50 for the new account will be waived in this circumstance.
These authorization and request forms can be completed and submitted as attachments by email to UtilityBilling@raleighnc.gov, by fax to 919-996-1813, or by mail to The City of Raleigh.
- Start Service
- Stop Service & Request Final Billing
- AutoPay Bank Draft Authorization
- Landlord Program - Utilities Authorization
- Request for Meter Sets
The following forms are only available in PDF format to print, complete and mail to the City of Raleigh:For more information about Medical Life Support qualifications, go to the Delinquent Account Information page.
Questions about Your Utility Bill?
Customer Care Center Assistance
The Utility Billing Customer Care Center provides assistance in the following areas:
- Assist utility customers with their accounts
- Process move-in and move-out requests
- Process meter set requests for new construction
- Set up landlord programs
- Investigate billing concerns
- Coordinate billing activities with field service activities
- Collect on delinquent amounts
- Establish payment plans
- Process leak adjustment requests
- Ensure billing accuracy
- Audit utility accounts
- Answer customer questions related to their utility bill
Utility Billing, a division of the Finance department, handles billing and billing services. All other issues, like discolored water, main breaks, low water pressure, impervious surface calculations, etc. will be addressed by one of the following:
- For more information regarding Public Utilities Administration, Water Plant, Wastewater Treatment Plants, Reuse, Constructions, Sewer Maintenance, Water Distribution, Meters and Warehouse, visit Public Utilities.
- Questions concerning permit fees for installation of water lines for new construction should be directed to the Inspections Department.
- For more information regarding stormwater fees, see Stormwater Utility Fee.
- For more information regarding solid waste services and charges, see Solid Waste Services.
All City of Raleigh water customers are under Permanent Conservation Measures. These measures include actions that are both mandatory and voluntary. Restrictions apply to everyday water usage and will not change unless we enter more stringent water conservation stages.
The City Council of Raleigh redefined mandatory water conservation triggers on August 7, 2012 by adoption of Ordinance 2012-97.
For more information about water conservation in Raleigh, Garner, Knightdale, Rolesville, Wake Forest, Wendell and Zebulon refer to the Public Utilities Dept.'s web pages:
Phone 919-890-3245 | Fax 919-996-1813 | UtilityBilling@raleighnc.gov
Call the Automated Voice Response System 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Customer Care Representatives are available to provide personal assistance Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm (except holidays).
Email and Fax:
Please allow 2 business days for a response to your email message. We make every effort to respond sooner, when possible.
Submit Your Feedback
Is there something you would like us to know? We want to hear from you.
Please complete and submit the online Feedback Form and tell us what you think.