English as a Second Language Classes
Free classes offered to acquire English skills and more
The English as a Second Language (ESL) Program offers free ESL classes to residents of Raleigh and the surrounding communities.
English Classes for ESL
These classes are offered for beginner levels. Classes are designed for people that utilize a primary language other than English and are interested in learning important skills to communicate in English. Students acquire basic English skills along with insights into American culture.
Cultural and Educational Classes
The English as a Second Language (ESL) Program offers a variety of educational and cultural classes to residents of Raleigh and the surrounding communities. These classes include:
Academy/Academia de Padres:
Workshops aimed at helping families learn to engage with the school system and positively contribute to their child’s academic and social success. Tutoring will be provided for children ages 4 to 13.
Talleres que ayudan a las familias con el éxito académico y social de sus hijos. Se ofrecerá tutoría para niños de 4 a 13 años.
- Aztec Dances/danzas Aztecas
Class Fee/Costo: Free/Gratis
This program will introduce participants to Aztec dances. These dances preserve the traditions and rituals of Mexico, specifically of the pre-Hispanic culture through the expression of dance and ceremony. This program was created to steer children towards an after-school activity that would keep them focused in their studies. The program requires participants to complete their homework and maintain acceptable grades in order to be able to participate in dance rehearsals. The program is free as it is solely coordinated by volunteers. Any organized dance performances, transportation or other items outside the rehearsal are not organized or covered by the City of Raleigh. Reproduction attire is not required for this program. Pre-registration is required.
En este programa los participantes conocerán acerca de las danzas Aztecas. Estas danzas ayudan a preservar las tradiciones y rituales de México, en específico de la cultura Prehispánica por medio de bailes y ceremonias. Este programa fue creado para mantener a los niños entretenidos y mantenerles enfocados en sus estudios en un programa aparte de la escuela. El programa requiere que los participantes completen sus tareas escolares y mantengan calificaciones aceptables para poder participar en los ensayos de danza. El programa es gratuito ya que solo está coordinado por voluntarios. Cualquier demonstración de danza, transporte u otras funciones fuera de estos ensayos no están organizadas o amparadas por la Ciudad de Raleigh. Vestimenta típica no es obligatoria para participar en este programa. Se requiere registrarse antes de participar.
Foreign Language Classes
The English as a Second Language (ESL) Program offers foreign language classes to residents of Raleigh and the surrounding communities. The following classes are held at various community centers throughout the city:
- Chinese for Beginners
- Spanish for Beginners
Currently, programming included in all sections above is held at the following locations:
- Barwell Road | 5857 Barwell Park Drive 27610
- Brier Creek | 10810 Globe Rd 27617
- Carolina Pines | 2305 Lake Wheeler Rd 27603
- John Chavis | 505 MLK Boulevard 27601
- Green Road | 4201 Green Rd 27604
- Hill Street | 2307 Hill Street 27604
- Jaycee | 2405 Wade Ave 27607
- Marsh Creek | 3050 New Hope Rd 27604
- Method Community | 514 Method Rd 27607
- Millbrook-Exchange | 1905 Spring Forest Rd 27615
- Northeast Outreach Center | 4544 Capital Blvd
- Peach Road | 911 Ileagnes Rd 27603
- Pullen | 408 Ashe Ave
The English as a Second Language (ESL) Program offers a variety of ways for people to volunteer. Note that for all volunteer opportunities knowledge of a language other than English is NOT necessary. Opportunities are flexible with ongoing or 1-time options.Find out more about volunteering!
How to Register for ESL Classes
When you find a class you would like to enroll in, you can either
- visit the community center where the class will be held
- go to any City of Raleigh staffed Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources facility
- register using RecLink Online
If you choose to go to the community center or any City of Raleigh Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources facility
- Go to any facility or community center where the class will be held and pick up a registration form.
- Fill out the registration form (Tip: Remember to fill in the five-digit BARCODE. E.g. #78188).
- Return the registration form to the community center at least two weeks before the class is scheduled to begin.
If you choose to register via RecLink, find your class and register online.