English as a Second Language Classes
Free classes offered to acquire English skills and more
The English as a Second Language (ESL) Program offers free ESL classes to residents of Raleigh and the surrounding communities.
English Classes for ESL
These classes are offered for beginner levels. Classes are designed for people that utilize a primary language other than English and are interested in learning important skills to communicate in English. Students acquire basic English skills along with insights into American culture.
Currently, free ESL classes are held in the following community centers:
- Barwell Road | 5857 Barwell Park Drive 27610
- Brier Creek | 10810 Globe Rd 27617
- Carolina Pines | 2305 Lake Wheeler Rd 27603
- John Chavis | 505 MLK Boulevard 27601
- Green Road | 4201 Green Rd 27604
- Hill Street | 2307 Hill Street 27604
- Marsh Creek | 3050 New Hope Rd 27604
- Method Road | 514 Method Rd 27607
- Peach Road | 911 Ileagnes Rd 27603
Cultural and Educational Classes
The English as a Second Language (ESL) Program offers a variety of educational and cultural classes to residents of Raleigh and the surrounding communities. These classes include:
- Basic Computer I in Spanish - Introduces basic computer skills.
- Basic Computer II in Spanish - A continuation of Basic Computer I in Spanish.
Foreign Language Classes
The English as a Second Language (ESL) Program offers foreign language classes to residents of Raleigh and the surrounding communities. The following classes are held at various community centers throughout the city:
- Chinese for Beginners
- Spanish for Beginners
The English as a Second Language (ESL) Program offers a variety of ways for people to volunteer. Note that for all volunteer opportunities knowledge of a language other than English is NOT necessary. Opportunities are flexible with ongoing or 1-time options.Find out more about volunteering!
How to Register for ESL Classes
When you find a class you would like to enroll in, you can either
- visit the community center where the class will be held
- go to any City of Raleigh staffed Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources facility
- register using RecLink Online
If you choose to go to the community center or any City of Raleigh Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources facility
- Go to any facility or community center where the class will be held and pick up a registration form.
- Fill out the registration form (Tip: Remember to fill in the five-digit BARCODE. E.g. #78188).
- Return the registration form to the community center at least two weeks before the class is scheduled to begin.
If you choose to register via RecLink, find your class and register online.