Special Use Permits - City Council Approved
PLEASE NOTE: These are not to be confused with Variance Permits that are reviewed by the Board of Adjustment, in accordance with 10-2144.
Special Use Permits - alphabetical listing:
- Commercial surface parking lot as a principal use located within a Transit Oriented Development Overlay District
- Correctional/penal facility (governmental and nongovernmental)
- Outdoor Amplified Entertainment
- Outdoor stadium, outdoor theater, outdoor race tract, of more than two hundred and fifty (250) seats, and outdoor movie theaters
- Parking facility - Off-Site, for a residential institution in residential zoning districts
- Recreational use of a governmental entity and not for profit private recreational camp, in a primary reservoir watershed protection area
- Recreational use restricted to membership - not for profit, in a primary reservoir watershed protection area
- Retail sales exceeding fifty thousand (50,000) square feet of floor area gross in a single establishment located within a Transit Oriented Development Overlay District
- Retail sales - highway located within a Transit Oriented Development Overlay District
- Telecommunication towers meeting certain design and location criteria
How do I start the process?
The process is started by submitting a complete application to the Department of City Planning. Internal review takes place with correspondence through staff.
What do I need to submit to the City?
Where do I submit my application?
Office: City of Raleigh
Department: City Planning
Location: Front Desk (sign in your plans)
Address: One Exchange Plaza, Suite 304, Raleigh, NC 27601
Adjacent to: 219 Fayetteville Street
Phone #: 919-996-2626
Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
What are the keys to success?
- Complete the application as thoroughly and accurately as possible
- Respond to city staff review comments promptly and thoroughly
What fees are involved?
How long will this process take?
This process takes approximately 8-10 weeks.