Falls of Neuse Realignment and Widening Project
- Street Improvement Project
- Phase I - $7,484.027.55; Phase II - $4,959,508.76
- Street and Sidewalk Design Construction (Lead)
- DeVere Construction Company Inc (Construction Contractor)
- URS Corporation (Project Design Consultant)
Phase I, including the dual bridges across the Neuse River and the connection to New Falls of Neuse Road is now open to traffic.
Phase I Construction
- Completed in Fall 2011
Phase II Construction
- Completed in June 2014
High Resolution Renderings of the area around River Oaks are now available.
- Realignment of Falls of Neuse Road from Fonville Road to New Falls of Neuse Road
- Construction of a median divided four lane roadway on 120 feet of right-of-way
- Curb and gutter, storm drainage
- Dual bridge structures
- A multi-use path along the east side as well as construction of a sidewalk along the west side starting immediately north of the proposed Wide River Drive/Falls of Neuse Road intersection area and ending at new Falls of Neuse Road.
- Widening of Falls of Neuse Road from Raven Ridge Road to Fonville Road
- Construction of a median divided four lane roadway on 100 feet of right-of-way
- Curb and gutter, storm drainage
- A multi-use path in the east side as well as constructing a sidewalk along the west side.
|January, 2009||Council Approval for New Alignment (Phase I)|
|November, 2009||Advertise for Bids (Phase I)|
|February, 2010||Award Contract (Phase I)|
|June, 2010||Begin Construction (Phase I)|
|October 15, 2011||Phase I Complete|
|July, 2009||Presentation of Recommended 25% Design (Phase II)|
|February, 2010||Council Public Hearing for Widening (Phase II)|
|September 26, 2010||Advertise for Bids (Phase II)|
|October 14, 2010||Pre-Bid Conference (Phase II)|
|November 9, 2010||Bid Opening (Phase II)|
|December 7, 2010||Award Contract (Phase II)|
|April 18, 2011||Begin Construction (Phase II)|
|Spring, 2013||Phase II Complete|
The City of Raleigh, Town of Wake Forest, and Wake County have experienced unprecedented levels of growth over the past 30 years. Much of this growth occurred and is still occurring in North Raleigh and areas north of the City extending along existing Falls of Neuse Road to the Town of Wake Forest including NC 98. The existing road network, including north-south crossings of the Neuse River, has created an unsafe roadway facility that does not support associated increases in traffic volumes and changing travel patterns.
Traffic capacity studies show that in the project study area, existing signalized intersections at Raven Ridge Road, Dunn Road, and Wakefield Pines Drive are currently operating at congested conditions, and are at or near capacity levels in either the morning or afternoon peak travel hours. In the future (Year 2035), the same 3 signalized intersections will experience breakdown traffic flows, increased over capacity issues, and reduced travel speeds in both the morning and afternoon peak travel hours without the proposed project in place.
This project is currently planned to be constructed in two phases: The first phase constructed will be the new location section beginning near Lowery Farms Road. As part of Phase 1, a new bridge crossing of the Neuse River will be constructed. This section is approximately 4,200 feet long and is being constructed first to allow for an alternate north/south route in advance of NCDOT's B-4660 project to replace the existing Falls of Neuse Bridge over the Neuse River. The second phase of the project will involve widening Falls of Neuse Road for approximately 7,500 feet from just south of Raven Ridge Road, to connect to the end of Phase 1 near Lowery Farms Road.