Mitchell Mill Road Widening Project
- Road Widening Project
- Roadway Design and Construction (Lead)
- Kimley-Horn and Associates, Inc. (Design Consultant)
- Rifenburg Construction (Construction Contractor)
Project Update, Posted Aug. 15
On the evening of Friday, Aug. 4, Rifenburg Construction implemented a new temporary traffic pattern along the construction corridor between Louisburg Road and the Wake Cross Roads Baptist Church.
The traffic shift allows the contractor to work along the south side of the corridor between Louisburg Road and Single Leaf Lane and the north side of the corridor between Single Leaf Lane and the Wake Cross Baptist Church.
Work continues at the intersection of Mitchell Mill Road and Forestville Road while crews continue to install water and sanitary sewer mains and prepare for the installation of a new box culvert that will run across the intersection.
To stay up to date on the project you can check the website often as pages will be updated regularly, or if you would like updates sent to your email, subscribe to project updates.
The project will widen Mitchell Mill Road between Louisburg Road and Forestville Road.
Street Improvements will include:
- Four-lane median-divided road;
- Curb and gutters;
- Bike lanes;
- Streetlights on both sides;
- Turn-lane improvements;
- Culvert replacement at the intersection of Mitchell Mill Road and Forestville Road;
- A directional crossover at Neuse Crossing Drive and Longdale Drive;
- Full access movements at Single Leaf Lane and Caliber Woods Drive; and,
- New water main installation to connect existing sections currently installed along the corridor
|September 23, 2010||Corridor Public Meeting|
|May 5, 2011||Design Public Meeting|
|May 20, 2014||Public Meeting|
|September 11, 2014||Follow-up Public Meeting|
|December 2, 2014||City Council Public Hearing|
|Fall 2015||Complete Right of Way and Easement Acquisition|
|January 2016||Advertise for Construction Contract|
|May 2016||Award Construction Contract|
|Late Winter 2018||Project Completion|
Mitchell Mill Road Widening project is part of the 2005 Road Bond approved by voters of the City of Raleigh. Initial design funding for the project was authorized by the Raleigh City Council as part of the 2008-09 Capital Improvement Program.
Mitchell Mill Road is classified as a major thoroughfare in the City's 2030 comprehensive Plan. The existing roadway consists of primarily a two lane roadway with triple lefts at the Louisburg Road (US 401) intersection.
Existing Traffic Volume: 17,500 vehicles per day
Projected Traffic Forecast: 25,000 vehicles per day (2035)