Raleigh-Wake Emergency Communications Center
Emergencies should be reported by dialing 911
The Raleigh-Wake Emergency Communications Center, also known as Raleigh-Wake 9-1-1, answers emergency and non-emergency calls for service 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and dispatches the appropriate help. The professional staff is dedicated to providing quality service not only to our citizens but also to the first responders that we serve.
The center provides dispatching and centralized communications for 4 EMS agencies, 8 law enforcement agencies and 20 fire departments, serving more than 1 million residents in an area of 860 miles. The 9-1-1 Center employs a highly trained staff using the latest in technology in order to maintain our high commitment to public safety.
Our employees take pride in the high expectations they set for each other. The 9-1-1 Center is one of 4 centers nationwide to have obtained accreditation from the Commission on Accredited Law Enforcement Association (CALEA), International Academy of Emergency Dispatch Accredited Center of Excellence (IAED ACE) and the Association of Public Safety Communications Officials (APCO) Project 33 Training Certification.
- The 9-1-1 Center receives approximately 860,000 calls for service a year. As Wake County's population and economic interests grow so does the need for public safety services.
- Approximately 507,000 calls for service a year are dispatched to Police, Fire, Medical and after-hours services in Wake County.
- In 2014, the Raleigh-Wake 9-1-1 Center delivered 7 babies and provided countless CPR instructions that resulted in 11 cardiac saves.
Do you know of a school in need of 9-1-1 education literature? is there an upcoming event in your community where you could help promote 9-1-1 education? The Raleigh-Wake 9-1-1 Center offers a variety of outreach programs to seniors, community groups, ELS, adult service organizations and children.
- School age presentations: Day Care Centers and K-2nd grade.
- Presentations: Senior and Community Centers, Seminars and Workshops, Community Organizations, Local Businesses Public Safety Days, Civic/Service Organizations and Church Groups.
2013 Raleigh-Wake ECC Annual ReportView Annual Report
The Raleigh-Wake Emergency Communications Center provides basic training for recruits, and professional development for all employees. The training program is accredited through the Association of Public Safety Communications Officials(APCO) Project 33 program.
- All new employees complete a Training Academy program and receive 6 to 9 months of hands-on training.
- Each employee is provided over 40 hours of professional development annually.
- Participates in Public Education Events.
The Training Academy is committed to providing its students with the best training available to support and accomplish the mission of Raleigh-Wake County Emergency Communications Center. By creating an atmosphere that is conducive to the learning process, students are provided with the skills and knowledge necessary to successfully carry out department objectives while embracing the agency's core values of professionalism, courtesy and compassion.
- To produce competent Telecommunicators capable of working in a skillful, motivated, productive, and professional manner.
- To provide standardized training to all new employees in the practical application of learned information.
- To provide clear standards for rating and evaluation which give all new employees every reasonable opportunity to succeed.
- To enhance the professionalism, job skills, and ethical standards of the emergency communication community.
- To provide remedial training in those areas where deficiencies are identified.
- To work towards continuous quality improvement.
Mission Statement and Values
The Raleigh-Wake County Emergency Communications Center is the true first responder to all emergencies. Our mission is to act as a vital and critical link between our public safety agencies and the citizens they protect and serve. We strive to ensure the preservation of life and property by treating all who use our services with professionalism, courtesy, and compassion and by relaying accurate information in a timely and efficient manner.
Statement of Values:
- Personal Excellence
- Constructive Self-Criticism
- Continual Self-Improvement
- Mutual Respect