Capital Area Transit Inclement Weather Service
Rain, sleet or snow, the CAT bus will still go!
For CAT inclement weather information please call 919-485-RIDE (7433) or visit raleighnc.gov/transit and click on Transit Announcements for up to date route information.
Capital Area Transit Inclement Weather Plan
The City of Raleigh has a snow removal plan for its road system. It is designed for Raleigh's typical two to four inch snow, and also for more severe snow storms. Salt is spread when accumulations are under two inches. Snow plowing begins when snow exceeds two inches.
City Roads are cleared in the following order:
- Major Thoroughfares
- CAT bus routes
- Major residential/hazardous areas
- All other residential streets
CAT bus service will be maintained at the highest level possible as long as safety can be assured. If conditions warrant, abbreviated service routes will become effective.
CAT service may be temporarily discontinued when major thoroughfares are glazed or covered with heavy sleet or ice. CAT service may also be temporarily discontinued when accumulation of unplowed snow on major thoroughfares prevents buses from safely maneuvering.
Any suspended service will be as brief as possible.
Full bus service is provided under normal conditions as shown in the individual route brochures.
Full bus service is provided under normal conditions as shown in the individual route brochures except for the following routes. On the follow routes, bus service has been reduced in areas where hazardous driving conditions are known to occur.
- Route 3- Glascock: The regular route will be served except for the outbound service of Halifax Ct, Cedar St, and the N. Blount Street segment from Cedar St to Poplar St along with Poplar St. From downtown, Route will follow Peace St, Person St, Wake Forest Rd to Glascock St. Bennett St, Barksdale Dr, Rumson Rd and Marlborough Rd are not served. Route will follow Glascock St to Raleigh Blvd, to Millbank St, Brighton Rd, right on Glascock St resuming regular route.
- Route 4- Rex Hospital: The regular route will be served with the exception of the segment of Edwards Mill Rd from Park Lake Ave. Route will continue traveling north on Creedmoore Rd past Park Lake Ave and resuming regular route at Crabtree Valley Mall.
- Route 6- Crabtree: The regular route will be served with the exception of Duraleigh Rd, Deep Hollow Dr and St. Giles Street. Route will follow Glenwood Ave to Townridge Shopping Center and returns inbound on Glenwood Ave.
- Route 7L- Carolina Pines: The regular route will be served with the exception of Proctor Rd, Southgate Dr, Atkins Dr, and Rock Quarry Rd. Route will travel from Southgate Plaza and return eastbound to Raleigh Oaks Shopping Center on Lake Wheeler and Tryon Rd.
- Route 16- Oberlin: The regular route will be served to Crabtree Valley Mall. The Blue Ridge Rd corridor to Rex Hospital will not be served. *See Level 2- Route 4 for service to Rex Hospital.
- Route 18- Worthdale: The regular route will be served with the exception of Bell Dr and Edison Rd. Route will follow Poole Rd, Beverly Dr to Little John Rd, north on Cooper Rd to Poole Rd and south on Sunnybrook Rd and resuming regular route.
- Route 11L- Buck Jones: The regular route will be served with the exception of Schaub Dr and Deboy St. Route will travel from Western Blvd to I440 exiting right on Melbourne Rd, right Powell Dr, and left on Western Blvd resuming regular route.
- Route 21- Caraleigh: The regular route will be served with the exception of the segment Lake Wheeler Rd between Grissom St and S. Saunders St. Route will travel north on Lake Wheeler Rd, turn right on Grissom St, left on S. Saunders St resuming regular route back to Moore Square Station.
- Route 24L- North Crosstown: The regular route will be served with the exception of Hardimont Rd, St. Albans Dr, and Dartmouth Rd. Route will follow Wake Forest Rd to Six Forks Rd turning around at North Hills Mall, traveling eastbound route will follow Six Forks Rd to Wake Forest Rd to New Hope Church Rd resuming regular route.
- Route 31- New Hope Commons (Sunday Only Service): The regular route will be served except for the outbound service of Halifax Ct, Cedar St, and the N. Blount Street segment from Cedar St to Poplar St along with Poplar St. Route will follow Peace St, Person St, Wake Forest Rd to Glascock St resuming regular route.
The Snow Map shows Level 2 abbreviated CAT service that will run under severe snow or sleet conditions. Use this map to determine the most convenient route during inclement weather.Download Snow Map
At this level of service, driving conditions have become so severe that the buses can only travel to the end of the major roads in their routes, turn around and return.
The only routes that operate under these conditions are:
- Route 1: Capital
- Route 2: Falls of Neuse
- Route 4: Rex Hospital
- Route 6: Crabtree
- Route 7: South Saunders
- Route 8: Northclift
- Route 11: Avent Ferry
- Route 12: Method
- Route 15: WakeMed
- Route 16: Oberlin
- Route 18: Worthdale
- Route 19: Apollo Heights
- Route 23L: Millbrook
- Route 24L: North Crosstown
Note: Delays may be expected under inclement weather conditions, but bus service will be provided to the fullest extent possible. Use GoLive, the real-time bus predictions system, to track your bus online or on your phone or call 919-485-RIDE (7433) for information.