Shred and Recycle It
Free Opportunities to Shred Sensitive Documents
The City of Raleigh holds two "shred and recycle" events each year: one in the spring (near Earth Day) and one in the fall (in conjunction with America Recycles Day). These events give an opportunity for Raleigh area residents to dispose of sensitive documents (and for some events, electronics) in an environmentally responsible way.
The next shred event will be held on Saturday, November 15, 2014. The event will run from 8 a.m. until 12 noon at North Hills' Midtown Park.
Here's what you need to know to participate in a shred & recycle event:
- Bring up to three boxes ("banker box" size) or bags of paper per person. We limit the amount of material per person to ensure that as many residents who wish to participate may do so.
- Please only bring paper that should be shredded. Before participating in a shred event, learn about the types of paper you should shred. Most junk mail -- with the exception of credit card offers -- does not need to be shredded. We will not accept magazines, phone books, catalogs, etc. for shredding; these items should be recycled in your curbside recycling container.
- Electronics will be accepted for recycling at this event. Accepted electronics include cell phones, small kitchen appliances, computers, fax machines, printers, televisions, game systems, DVD players, and VCR's. White goods or large appliances, such as washing machines or refrigerators, will not be accepted.
- Walk ups are not allowed. For your safety and to ensure everyone is treated fairly, please drive through the line and do not get out of your car. Our staff will unload your materials and take them to the shredder. Documents will be shredded on site. After dropping off your materials, you are welcome to observe the shredding process. However, we ask that you move your vehicle to a side parking space to allow others to move through the drop off line.
- Small businesses, nonprofits, churches, and individuals are welcome to participate.
- There is no cost for this service, thanks to our event sponsors.
Did you know? Shred & recycle events continue to grow in popularity. Consider how much paper has been collected at past events: (amounts are in tons)
- Spring Event: 12.38 (2014), 7.60 (2013) 8.10 (2012), 5.00 (2011), 7.89 (2010)
- Fall Event: 13.82 (2013), 7.00 (2012), 6.00 (2011), 5.69 (2010), 4.99 (2009), 3.25 (2008), 2.90 (2007)
- Nov 15, 2014
- 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
- North Hills Midtown Park
- 4011 Cardinal at North Hills Street
- Raleigh, NC 27609