City Clerk's Office
The City Clerk's Office has the following responsibilities:
- Attends all meetings of the council and its committees and records official actions
- Acts as custodian of all legal documents pertaining to the City
- Prepares and publishes City ordinances, resolutions and notices of public hearings, as required by law
- Assists in preparation of the City Council agenda (PDF format, contains links to supporting documentation; linked PDF files may be large in size)
- Prepares and distributes committee meeting agendas
- Notifies persons scheduled to appear before City Council and committees
- Codifies the City Code
- Administers oaths of office
- Serves as notary public for the City
- Tracks and coordinates City Council appointments to their advisory boards
- Schedules citizens for appearance before City Council
- Provides information concerning Council activities
- Receives and processes applications for the Civil Service Commission and provides staff assistance to the board.
City Council and Committees
Petition to Address City Council
Raleigh City Council encourages citizen input. One of the ways to provide such input is to petition to address the City Council during a Council meeting. Comments and requests from citizens are heard during the 7 p.m. Council meeting on the first Tuesday of the month and starting at 2 p.m. of the 1 p.m. Council meeting on the third Tuesday of the month.
To schedule an appearance before Council please submit a Request & Petition of Citizens to City of Raleigh Council form to the City Clerk by 12 p.m. on Tuesday two weeks preceding the scheduled Council meeting. Additional support information should be submitted along with the request.
The request form contains completion and submission directions.
It is not necessary to submit a request to speak during scheduled public hearings.
Video Presentation System
A new, updated video presentation system has been installed in Raleigh City Council chambers. The new video system will provide significantly improved video quality, and additional presentation options. The old system is no longer available.
Please be aware that, due to security concerns:
- Members of the public must now submit electronic files for review to CouncilPresentation@raleighnc.gov (or in person to the Communications office) no later than 5 p.m. the Thursday prior to the Council meeting at which they will appear. The presentation will be placed on the presentation computer by City staff prior to the Council meeting.
- Electronic files brought to Council meetings WILL NOT be loaded for use.
- No other computers, players or other presentation devices may be hooked up to the new presentation system FOR ANY REASON.
- Please arrive at least a half-hour prior to start of Council meetings for orientation on use of the new system.
- For birth and death certificates, and marriage licenses within Wake County, contact the Register of Deeds office at 919-856-5460.
- For birth and death certificates, and marriage licenses in locations outside of Wake County, contact the North Carolina Office of Vital Records at 919-733-3526.
- For apply for a marriage license, contact the Wake County Register of Deeds office at 919-856-5460.
- For voter registration, contact the Wake County Board of Elections at 919-856-6240
- For property tax information, contact the Wake County Revenue Collector at 919-856-5400.
- For parking citations, contact Park Raleigh at 919-996-3996.
- For court dates and appearances, background checks, divorce decrees, traffic tickets, jury duty, wills or estates, contact the Wake County Clerk of Court at 919-792-4000.