Solid Waste Services Department
Garbage, Recycling, & Yard Waste
The City of Raleigh Solid Waste Services Department provides reliable waste management solutions to the Raleigh community through residential curbside collection and a variety of specialized services. The Department works proactively to reduce waste and to increase recycling in Raleigh, while demonstrating a commitment to sustainability in all areas of its operations.
Concerns and questions about garbage, recycling, or yard waste?
Contact Customer Support at 919-996-6890 (7am - 5pm weekdays) or email.
Missed collection or need another container?
Use our online form
Wilders Grove Solid Waste Services Facility, 630 Beacon Lake Drive, Raleigh, NC 27610
Solid Waste Services Director: Fred Battle
News and Events
- The 2015-2016 service schedules have been mailed. Customers should receive them in early July. The online calendar has been updated for viewing at the Service Schedule page.
- Follow the Solid Waste Services Department on Twitter for the latest updates or sign up for Service & Holiday Alerts through MyRaleigh Subscriptions.
- Holiday Schedule Changes
Beginning in 1989 with a few drop off centers and twice per month curbside recycling, Raleigh Recycling is a comprehensive program providing recycling options such as curbside collection, drop off centers, apartment complexes, the central business district, recycling in city parks, and a Swap Shop.Learn more about Recycling Program
The goal of the Residential (Garbage) Division of the Solid Waste Services (SWS) Department is to safely and efficiently collect residential solid waste and dispose of it at the county landfill. Responsibilities include:
Yard Waste Program
Responsibilities include: enforcing policies, procedures, municipal codes, the Solid Waste Design Manual, laws that are designed to improve the quality of life, oversees the solid waste/recycling site permit approval process, land use development process, operational efficiency and effectiveness, and SWS billing.
Learn more about Code Enforcement
Public Speaking and Outreach
Solid Waste Services staff are available to speak to schools, civic groups, neighborhood associations or Scout troops about solid waste issues. Presentations available on:
- backyard composting
Staff members welcome the opportunity to participate in school science fairs, career days and Earth Day events. In addition, a specialist can provide literature or advice to Girl and Boy Scouts working on environmental badges.
An Education Specialist will tailor a program to meet the needs of any group, from kindergarten students through senior citizens.Recycling Center Tours
To pursue a safe, efficient and effective waste collection and disposal system that protects the natural environment while supporting Raleigh's vision to create a sustainable future for generations to come.
Values, Vision & Goals
Our Values: We believe in an ongoing dedication to quality service and to customer satisfaction by building customer and community partnerships.
Our Vision: The Department believes that our actions today have a direct impact on the future. We support the City of Raleigh vision as a community coming together to create a sustainable future for generations to come, championing the human spirit.
- To safely and efficiently collect residential solid waste and dispose of it at the county landfill.
- To safely and efficiently collect residential recyclable materials for processing and reuse.
- To increase recycling and reuse options for Raleigh residents whenever feasible.
- To safely and efficiently collect yard waste debris from Raleigh residents.
- To operate a yard waste composting facility that accepts Raleigh yard waste debris and provide
- compost products back to the public.
- To provide general cleanliness to the Raleigh community through all solid waste programs.