Customer Care and Billing
We are committed to excellent customer service through these convenient options:
- Online account access
- Easy payment options
- Automated voice response
- Email communications
- Customer Service Representatives by phone
- Official Utility Payment Locations
- Customer Satisfaction Survey
Legal Name Changes
To request an update to the name on an existing account due to a legal name change, please contact a Customer Service Representative by email or call 919-996-3245 Monday - Friday between 7:30 am and 6:00 pm for assistance.
You may be asked to provide the following:
- Utility account number and/or service address
- Current name on account
- Identifying information - Social Security Number, Driver's License, etc.
- Mailing address
- Phone number
- Legal document to support name change
- Effective date of the change
If the Account Holder is Deceased...
It is unlawful to retain a utility account in the name of a deceased person.
The account must be closed and a new account opened in the name of the responsible party (i.e., the surviving spouse or family member, an estate or trust, etc.).
In addition to the items listed above, you may be asked to provide copies of:
- Death certificate
- Court documents
- Testamentary letter
- Any other affidavit or document from the court that verifies that an estate exists and/or designates the executor's name and address
A deposit of $50 may still be required. However, the service initiation fee of $50 for the new account will be waived in this circumstance.
The following forms are available to print, complete and submit to the City of Raleigh:
- Start Service
- Stop Service & Request Final Billing
- AutoPay Bank Draft Authorization
- Landlord Program - Utilities Authorization
- Request for Meter Sets
- Medical Life Support Application
- Medical Life Support Terms and Conditions
Questions about Your Utility Bill?
You're probably not alone. Many customers have the same questions.
Please review our Frequently Asked Questions for answers to the questions we receive most often.
If you don't find your answer here, we will be happy to assist you.
Email Customer Care and Billing or call 919-996-3245 (Monday - Friday, 7:30 am - 6:00 pm)
We provide assistance in the following areas:
- Ensure privacy of utility account information
- Verify identity of individuals applying for utility services
- Assist utility customers with their utility account questions
- Process move-in and move-out requests
- Process meter set requests for new construction
- Set up landlord programs
- Investigate billing concerns
- Coordinate billing activities with field service activities
- Collect on delinquent accounts
- Establish payment plans
- Process leak adjustment requests
- Ensure billing accuracy
We handle service requests and customer inquiries regarding utility billing, Public Utilities and Solid Waste Services.
- For more information regarding Public Utilities Administration, Water Plant, Resource Recovery Plant, Reuse, Construction, Sewer Maintenance, Water Distribution, Meter Operations and Warehouse, visit Public Utilities.
- Questions concerning permit fees for installation of water lines for new construction should be directed to the Development Services Customer Service Center at 919-996-2500.
- For more information regarding stormwater fees, see Stormwater Utility Fee.
- For more information regarding solid waste services and charges, see Solid Waste Services.
All City of Raleigh water customers are under Permanent Conservation Measures. These measures include actions that are both mandatory and voluntary. Restrictions apply to everyday water usage and will not change unless we enter more stringent water conservation stages.
The City Council of Raleigh redefined mandatory water conservation triggers on August 7, 2012 by adoption of Ordinance 2012-97.Learn more about Water Conservation
Customer Care and Billing | Phone 919-996-3245 | Fax 919-996-1813
Call the Automated Voice Response System 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Customer Service Representatives are available to provide personal assistance Monday - Friday, 7:30 am - 6:00 pm (except holidays).
Email and Fax:
Please allow 2 business days for a response to your email message. We make every effort to respond sooner, when possible.
Your Experience with Us
Customer Care and Billing strives to provide excellent service to our residents and customers at every opportunity.
If you recently contacted us, please complete this short online Customer Satisfaction Survey to let us know about your experience and how well we met your expectations. Tell us what we did right, what we could have done better, and how we handled our contact with you overall.
We want to hear from you.