Parking - Common Questions

Last updated Aug. 07, 2017 - 3:37 pm

The following information is provided as a public service to inform and educate citizens about unfamiliar and misunderstood parking regulations that are commonly violated.

Where is the ParkLink office located?

ParkLink is located at 310 W. Martin St. on the first floor of the Dillion Building, Suite 109. They are located across from the Employee Health Center. The Customer Service number is 919-996-3996.

Who is responsible for enforcing City parking ordinances?

ParkLink Field Agents enforce parking primarily in the downtown area and along the Hillsborough Street corridor as well as in residential permit areas. The Raleigh Police Department also enforces parking regulations throughout the city.

When is parking enforced?

Parking regulations are enforced 24 hours every day except for a minimal number that have specific day and time restrictions such as for metered parking, loading zones and parking in travel lanes. Regulations of this nature are posted onsite to inform motorists. Metered parking is enforced from 8 AM to 5 PM Monday through Friday except for City-observed holidays.

What is the fine for meter and time zone violations?

The current fine is $20.00 plus a late fee of $20.00 if not paid within 21 days of issuance.

Do enforcement agents or the police ever write warnings?

Yes. The police and enforcement agents exercise their own discretion daily in the writing of a citation or a warning without any defined standard or instruction. The best advice is to obey the obvious regulations and do not assume when in doubt. Call the parking office at 919-996-3996 for clarification before leaving your vehicle parked.

How much does it cost to park in a metered space?

The current rate for on-street parking is $1 for 1 hour. More or less time can be purchased as desired depending on the posted time limits. Most parking in downtown Raleigh is moderated by electronic pay-by-space payment stations that accept coin, Visa, and MasterCard.

May I re-feed the parking meter or pay station?

No. Meters are intended for short-term parking up to the maximum time posted. If there is any chance that your visit could exceed the maximum time allowed you should park in a deck or a parking lot which provides for unlimited time.

How can I get a receipt for my payment?

Simply call the ParkLink office at 919-996-3996, the number is also posted on each pay station, and request a receipt. You will be asked to provide the last four digits of your credit card number to confirm the transaction and the receipt will be mailed to your home address or sent via email. You may also attend the parking office to pick it up if more convenient for you.

Receipts for coin transactions take more time to process and verify payment. You will be asked to provide the following information: the street name and space number where you parked, the number of the pay station used, the time of payment, the total amount paid, and the denomination of the first coin deposited. A receipt will be mailed or emailed to you the following day.

What if a parking meter/pay station does not work?

Please call the ParkLink Office at 919-996-3996. This number is also posted on each machine. Be sure to note the name of the street and the space number where you are parked. Because the pay stations communicate with each other you can also pay for your space at other close-by pay stations.

What are the minimum distances from which a vehicle can be legally parked?

  • Not less than 50 feet from a railroad crossing
  • Not less than 25 feet from an intersection, stop sign, flashing beacon or traffic control signal
  • Not less than 15 feet from either side of a fire hydrant
  • Not less than 12 feet from either side of a crosswalk
  • Not less than 5 feet either side of a private or public driveway

What are the rules for parking next to curbs?

In unmarked (unlined) parking areas, vehicles must not be parked more than 12 inches from the curb or, if no curb exists, from the edge of the roadway. Where parking spaces are lined, such as with metered parking, vehicles must be parked inside the lines so that no portion is extended into another space or into the travel portion of the road.

May I park on a sidewalk?

No. Even if a sidewalk crosses over a private driveway, no portion of any vehicle parked in the driveway can protrude into the sidewalk.

How long may I park in a loading zone?

Not more than 1 hour. Police and enforcement agents are also looking for signs of active loading or unloading as stipulated by City ordinance or a citation can be issued.

What is the difference between "Commercial" and "Regular" loading zones?

Commercial loading zones are restricted to vehicles displaying a N.C. commercial license plate and/or the company or operator name/logo with letters at least 2" or greater in size permanently affixed on both sides of the vehicle. Regular loading zones may be used by any motorist but only for the purpose of active loading or unloading.

Can a large commercial vehicle be parked on a city street for any other purpose than loading and unloading?

City ordinance 11-2176 restricts commercial vehicles from using city streets for any other purpose than for transporting, loading and unloading. Only small trucks, City buses and school buses are exempt from this regulation.

What is the purpose of No Parking Anytime zones?

These zones are installed where views are obstructed between motorists, pedestrians and objects or in areas where parked vehicles jeopardize the safe flow of traffic.

May any portion of my vehicle be parked within a No Parking Zone legally?

No. City ordinance stipulates that no portion of a vehicle shall extend into a No Parking Zone or a citation may be issued. No Parking zones are clearly identified by signs and arrows indicating the beginning and ending of the zone.

Is parking on City Plaza permitted? If not, may I stop briefly at a pavilion or to use an ATM?

No. The Plaza was designed to be a pedestrian-friendly area. The inclined approach, the brick-paver surface, absence of curbing, and the presence of handcrafted stainless steel bollards creates a unique area which serves as a giant pedestrian mall and crosswalk for which all vehicles are legally required to slow down and yield right of way to pedestrians. Vehicles parked on the plaza would obstruct drivers' views of pedestrians making it more dangerous for them to cross the street. Without curbs to define the edge of the street the handcrafted bollards would be at risk of damage every time someone parks. There is ample parking space in the decks underneath and on the street north and south of the Plaza for those willing to walk a few extra steps.

Can I get a parking permit for Construction purposes?

Yes. Construction parking permits are issued by the ParkLink office located at 310 W. Martin St Suite 109. Phone 919-996-3996. The fee is determined by the number of hours and days requested at the rate of $1 per hour.

Can I leave my boat parked on a city street?

No. It is against city ordinance to park a boat trailer or any other type of trailer on a city street except for temporary active loading or unloading of effects.

What are Residential Permits and how do I get one?

The Residential Permit Parking program was adopted by City Council many years ago to free up on-street parking for neighborhood residents by restricting non-residents from parking all day. Commuters are encouraged to take public transportation or park in nearby lots or decks. Annual permits are purchased from the ParkLink Office. New applicants must show proof of residency such as a current utility bill, current notarized affidavit of the landlord, auto registration cards or deed in the name of the permittee and showing the address within the controlled parking area. Only legal residents with a vehicle qualify for a permit. You will also need to provide proof of DMV registration. Displaying the permit on a vehicle not registered with ParkLink is a contravention punishable by fine. The cost of a permit is currently $20 annually.

Can I get a Residential Permit for a non-resident? (e.g., regular babysitter, nursing care, maid service, lawn maintenance service or relatives?)

Non-residents do not qualify for a residential permit. The only exception is nursing care. In such case ParkLink will print a special permit allowing the vehicle to be parked for a certain time limit in accordance with the contracted time. The health care professional is required to apply in person to the ParkLink office and provide documented proof of the time required to park as well as their vehicle registration.

How can I get my neighborhood into the Residential Permit program?

Begin by requesting a Residential Permit Petition from the ParkLink Office 919-996-3996. The main requirements are that there must be a minimum of 8 contiguous blocks to form a Residential Permit Area with 75% of residents and property owners in favor.

What do I do if I get a parking citation?

You must pay or appeal the citation within 21 days of the citation issue date. Instructions are detailed on the back of the ticket.

How do I pay a parking citation?

Payments can be made in person, by mail or online. Visit our Paying A Parking Citation page for more information.

What if I fail to pay or appeal a parking citation within 21 days?

A late fee of $20.00 is applied to the violation penalty and you forfeit your right to appeal. If you continue to ignore your obligation to pay, the City may resort to other means of collection including booting your vehicle and/or referring your account to a collections agency.

What if I feel that a parking citation was issued in error or if I have a question or concern about the violation?

Contact the ParkLink office to discuss as soon as possible either by phone 919-996-3996, in person or by registering a formal appeal which instruction is provided on the back of the citation or on our Citation Appeal Process page. Be advised that appeals are not accepted over the phone.

When would my vehicle be booted?

Vehicles with three (3) or more outstanding citations at least 90 days old are subject to being booted.

What should I do if my vehicle is booted?

  1. Contact ParkLink at 919-996-3996 or attend the parking office at 310 W. Martin St Suite 109. Monday through Friday, 8:30 A.M.- 5:00 P.M.
  2. You must pay all fines and any additional fees within 24 hours to avoid your vehicle being towed at your expense. Only cash, cashier's check, or bank draft is accepted once a vehicle is booted.

When will the City of Raleigh tow a vehicle?

  1. Parking in a signed tow away zone
  2. Parking in a travel lane
  3. Parking in an area restricted by a posted notice by ParkLink or the Raleigh Police Department
  4. Failing to pay all delinquent parking fines in relation to a booted vehicle within 24 hours

Can I be held responsible for parking citations issued to a vehicle that I own or co-own if I was not driving the vehicle at the time?

Yes. Regardless if you are the sole registered owner or a co-owner, you are still legally liable for any citations issued even if you were not present in the vehicle at the time.

Was this page helpful?

NerdWallet named Raleigh

Among the Most Innovative Tech Hubs in the Nation

View our accolades >>