Commercial Standard Review
The process for the standard review of commercial building plans ensures that all commercial construction complies with the N.C. State Building Code. This process covers new buildings, additions, alterations, change of use and mass grading.
You must schedule a gatekeeping appointment with the Development Services Customer Service Center before submitting plans for:
- New buildings;
- Additions; or,
- Changes of use.
Gatekeeping is an administrative review to verify that there is adequate information for a detailed code review. Contact a Development Services Technician at 919-996-2500 to schedule this appointment.
Other proposed work, including alterations and fit-ups, may be submitted to the Development Services Customer Service Center without an appointment. Walk-ins will be assisted in the order they arrive.
Prerequisites (prior to gatekeeping scheduling)
- Obtain a recorded map of property, if available, for new buildings, additions, change of use, and site reviews. If there is no recorded map, a copy of a current signed and sealed survey, in addition to the property description on file with the Wake County Register of Deeds, will be accepted;
- Establish address. Contact the GIS Addressing Team at 919-996-4471 for address assignments;
- Approved concurrent drawings;
- Approved administrative site review or preliminary subdivision, if applicable; and,
- An appointment scheduled for gatekeeping, which is conducted the same day as the package is received for submittal.
Approvals or Permits Issued
- Permits to commence with work approved by staff
- Associated permits and approvals needed to support the request
- Issuance of all trade permits necessary for commercial construction within the City of Raleigh's jurisdiction (City limits and ETJ)
|Required for Submittal|
|Required for Some Projects|
|Recommended for a Successful Review|
Expected Processing Time for Development Projects
- Applicants will be notified by email when plans are ready for pick up
- Plan review comments can be viewed at all times at the Online Development Center
Plans that are ready for permit issuance but still waiting on contractor information will be kept at the Development Services Customer Service Center for up to six months. After six months, the plans will be discarded and the application will be voided.
An administrative fee may be incurred when projects have to be voided.
Plans that are not approved in between review cycles must be picked up at the Development Services Customer Service Center Records Center within 30 days after the last review. Unapproved plans will be discarded after 30 days.
- Two fees are due with the submittal package. These are the commercial review fee for new buildings, change of use and additions, and the land disturbance (grading) review fee
- All other permit fees are due when permits are ready for pickup
- See development fee schedule for specific fees
- The Development Services Customer Service Center processes payments
- Payment types include: Cash, MasterCard, Visa, or check made payable to the City of Raleigh
Use this fee calculator to obtain an estimate of building and trade permit fees.