Existing Private Well and Wastewater (Septic) Systems
This is a procedure for processing residential permits on property that has an existing private well or wastewater (septic) system. This procedure applies to permits to construct:
- Accessory structures
- Attached and detached garages
- Bedroom conversion to heated square footage
- Geothermal wells
- Swimming pools
Applications for residential projects should be submitted to the Litchford Satellite Office, 8320-130 Litchford Road.
- An Existing Private Well and Waste Water Systems Form approved by the Wake County Department of Environmental Services must be included with the permit application and plot plan
- Contractor information (contractor license, contact information, workers compensation, liability insurance, etc.) must be complete, current and valid in the City of Raleigh Contractor file. Contact the Development Services Customer Service Center to confirm the accuracy of all required data
Approvals or Permits Issued
Construction permits for property with a private well or wastewater system.
|Required for Submittal|
This project type falls under the Next Day Permitting Process
Documents should be submitted to: Litchford Road Satellite Office or Development Services Customer Service Center
Expected Processing Time
- Ranges from one hour up to seven days, depending on whether a site visit and permit are necessary
- Applications submitted to the City of Raleigh before 4 p.m. are processed the same day and permits are issued the next day. Applications submitted after 4 p.m. are processed the next business day and permits are issued the day after that.