Screened In Porch, Deck, or Balcony
If you are planning to add a screened porch, deck, or balcony to your home, you must obtain the proper permits before you start construction. The project also must be inspected by the City after you start construction.
The City requires permits and conducts inspections to make sure construction projects comply with building codes. This ensures the safety and quality of the work and protects your property value as well as your neighbors’.
It can be a costly mistake to add a screened porch, deck, or balcony without obtaining permits and inspections. If you sell your house, you will be required to get permits and inspections before closing on the sale. This may require the finished work to be torn out costing you time and money.
Watch our video! Please note that, due to the update of the UDO, all plot plans must now be signed and sealed by a N.C. registered land surveyor.
Certificate of Appropriateness if structure is in a historic district or designated as a Raleigh Historic Landmark.
What approvals or permits are issued?
|Required for Submittal|
|Required for Some Projects|
How To Schedule An Inspection
- Call 919-996-2500 for staff assistance
- Visit Development Services Customer Service Center at One Exchange Plaza, Suite 400 in Downtown Raleigh.
Inspections are generally conducted the next business day after they are scheduled, unless otherwise requested.
When a final inspection is scheduled, any pending inspections for that permit number will automatically be scheduled for the same date.
Inspections scheduled out of sequence may result in the inspection being rejected and/or a reinspection fee.
What to Know About Reinspections
A code violation may result in a "rejection" inspection status. After the code violation is corrected, and any reinspection fees are paid, you may schedule a reinspection. Reinspections will be scheduled for the next business day after payment has been processed, unless otherwise requested.
Fees can be paid at the Development Services Customer Service Center or Litchford Road Satellite Office or by phone at 919-996-2500 between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Please have the permit number, project address, and credit card information available when you call.
Additional Information for Your Project
Download our Deck Brochure for everything you need to know before building an attached or self-supporting deck for your home.
Expected Plan Review Time
- Plans will be reviewed the next business day for applications processed by 4 p.m.
- Plans will be reviewed within two business days for applications processed after 4 p.m.
- Please allow 1-3 business days to process your application.
- If a problem surfaces during the intake or review, permit issuance may be delayed until the issue is resolved. You will receive comments via email when there are issues with the plan during review. Plans must be resubmitted after comments are received and corrected.