Private Development Engineering Inspections
Development Services Department
The Engineering Inspections group is responsible for inspection of private development projects such as residential subdivisions, multi-family developments, and commercial properties to ensure work is in conformance with city standards and specifications.
Infrastructure Engineering - Inspections
Pre-Construction Meeting Scheduling:
- A pre-construction meeting with the Engineering Inspection Coordinator is required if the work impacts sidewalks within high volume pedestrian areas (Downtown, Glenwood South, Hillsborough Street);
- A pre-construction meeting with the Right-of-Way Services Coordinator in permitting and the City's Project Manager and their contractor is required if the work impacts any City of Raleigh project;
- A pre-construction meeting with the Engineering Inspection Coordinator is required 5 (five) business days prior to the start of any work or obstruction of the right-of-way. This includes but not limited to:
- Demolition, mass grading, and sidewalk removal;
- Utility installation (Water and Sewer);
- Any lane or sidewalk closures.
- Permits are requried prior to ANY work or obstructions in the right-of-way. The City may require clients to schedule a meeting prior to permit issuance.
Right-of-Way Services Inspections may be scheduled one of four ways:
Transportation Field Services - 919-996-6446 – 7:30 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. Monday through Friday
Development Services Customer Service Center - 919-996-2500 - 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Monday through Friday
Rapid Response System - 919-857-4412
Online Development Center - On the “Home” tab, find the “Inspections” section and click on “Manage Inspection Activities”.
Special Field Consultation
Beginning July 1, 2017 we are pleased to offer a new service, Special Field Consultation Service.
In an effort to facilitate effective and efficient resolution of issues encountered in the field during construction of approved development projects, an optional Special Field Consultation Service is being made available. With engagement of the Development Engineering Inspections Manager and requisite right-of-way and/or public utility infrastructure review and inspections staff, this 48-hours prior scheduled service will ensure necessary staff are available on-site to collaboratively work through resolutions to issues and define the necessary process(es) for memorializing any associated field or design changes.
Scheduling - The Special Field Consultation Service will be a new Right-of-Way Permit type that will be available for purchase from the Development Services Customer Service Center. Upon obtaining this permit, the consultation can be scheduled a minimum of 48 hours in advance through the following avenues:
- Online Development Center
Upon scheduling of this inspection, please also coordinate with the Engineering Inspections Manager to confirm time and applicable staff can be coordinated with prior to the consultation meeting.
Cost - $325 per request.
For additional information please email firstname.lastname@example.org.