After-Hours Inspection program provides contractors and homeowners with code-certified
inspectors outside our normal business hours of 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
Projects eligible for after-hours inspections are:
-Change of use
After-hours inspections are only for non-emergencies, and a contractor representative must be on site with job plans, a permit card, and list of areas needing inspection.
After-hours inspections are scheduled based on the availability of the Building and Safety Division. A two-day notice is generally required for after-hours inspections, but a trade group supervisor from the Building and Safety Division may waive this requirement at their discretion.
- An applicant must have a valid permit before scheduling an after-hours inspection
- All work must be complete and ready for inspection
Approvals or Permits Issued
Decision on inspection, approved or denied
Steps for Requesting an After-Hours Inspection
- Call 919-996-2495 or visit us on the 4th floor of One Exchange Plaza (Downtown Raleigh) so we can make sure an inspector will be available at your preferred time.
- Once we are able to confirm an inspector's availability, you will be notified.
- Then, complete the top section of the After-Hours Inspections application form and submit it to us in person or via e-fax (919-996-1825)
- We will also collect all After-Hours inspection fees with your application.
- NOTE: A minimum fee of two to three hours is required, additional fees may apply if time is exceeded.
Expected Processing Time
The process is completed on the day of inspection.
- $125 per hour for each trade inspector for commercial projects
- $75 per hour for each trade inspector or multi-trade inspector for residential projects
- A two-hour minimum is required when an inspector performs an after-hours inspection at the end of a normal workday without having to go home first. Otherwise, a three-hour minimum is required.
- Fees are refundable for inspections cancelled by 3 p.m. on the day of the scheduled inspection
- The Development Services Customer Service Center processes payments
- Payment types include cash, MasterCard, Visa or check made payable to the City of Raleigh
Contact the supervisor of the specific trade an inspection is needed for to schedule:
||Chief Building Official
||Building Trade Group Supervisor||919-996-2445||984-789-1173|
|Jay Daunoy||Electrical Trade Group Supervisor
|Jerry Fraker||Plumbing Trade Group Supervisor
||Mechanical Trade Group Supervisor