Mass Grading Only

More information on the development review process for mass grading and land disturbance.

Last updated Sep. 05, 2019 - 9:07 am

The mass grading process allows an applicant to obtain a permit for the purposes of land disturbance, including changes in grade onsite. A land disturbance permit is required when an area of 12,000 square feet or more is disturbed.

Review of a mass grading only plan includes the following trades: stormwater, tree conservation, fire protection, transportation services and zoning. Approvals from state or federal agencies such as FEMA, the US Army Corps of Engineers, and the NC Division of Water Quality may be are required prior to issuance of a land disturbance permit.

If any of these activities are occurring you must apply for a Site Permit Review (SPR). You cannot submit through the mass grading only process:

  • Install stormwater pipes or detention devices;
  • Install utility lines;
  • Building footprints;
  • Street improvements;
  • Driveways,;
  • Parking lots; or,
  • Retaining walls

Approvals or Permits Issued

  • Land Disturbance
  • Tree Conservation
  • Flood, when the property is located within a flood hazard area
  • Neuse River Buffer, for property within the Neuse River buffer

Submittal Requirements

Required for Submittal

Expected Processing Time for Development Projects


Was this page helpful? named Raleigh

2nd Most Family-Friendly City

View our accolades >>