One & Two Family Additions
When the city processes applications for additions to one or two family dwellings, conformance with all site aspects of either Part 10 or the Unified Development Ordinance, whichever is applicable, is evaluated. The review addresses conformance with stormwater, zoning, transportation and utilities. In some cases, the requirements of Residential Infill Compatibility, Section 2.2.7 of the Unified Development Ordinance, will apply.
Approvals or Permits Issued
- Permit to commence work subject to field inspections being approved
|Required for Submittal|
Applications must be submitted by email or in person by 4 p.m. for issuance of permits the next business day. Applications submitted after 4 p.m. will be processed within two business days.
Submit documents in person to: Litchford Road Satellite Office
|Required for Some Projects|
- If accessory structures are under twelve (12) feet in any dimension, a building permit or zoning permits is not required
- If upon inspection, conformance with the required regulations cannot be determined, an as built signed and sealed plot plan may be required by the inspector before final approval
- Projects in a flood hazard area will be reviewed via this process unless more detailed review is needed. In that case, it must be reviewed as a Commercial Plan. North Carolina 2012 Residential Building Code
- Street Design Manual
- Wake County Register of Deeds
- Driveway Cuts
Expected Processing Time
- Five (5) business days
- Fees must be paid prior to permit issuance. The contact person listed on the application will receive a summary of the project fees after the plans are approved
- See Development Fee Schedule for specific fees
- The Development Services Customer Service Center processes payments
- Payment types include cash, MasterCard, Visa or check made payable to the City of Raleigh
Use this Fee Calculator to obtain an estimate of Building and Trade Permit Fees.
The signed and sealed plot plan will be stamped and a copy will be returned to the applicant or contact person. This copy and inspection cards must be at the work site at all times.