Typical Townhouse Review
The Typical Townhouse Plan Review is a streamlined plan submittal process for repetitive townhouse developments.
A repetitive townhouse development generally has four to eight standard townhouse models, with adjoining property lines, in multiple building configurations. Townhouses have small variations in floor plans, garage options, finished or unfinished attics, optional screened porches, optional sunrooms, basements and exteriors.
Under the Typical Townhouse Plan Review Process, the Inspections Department conducts an initial review of architectural and structural plans for the townhouse development. During this review, the builder identifies the townhouse variations to be offered. Custom builders can use this program if they identify upfront the townhouse options they will offer.
After the Inspections Department approves the plans and designates them as “typical,” a builder may submit them for subsequent developments without the need for repeated reviews.
The initial review of architectural and structural plans is the first step in the process of permitting review for a townhouse development. The Inspections Department also offers an early review option, which allows builders to submit architectural and structural plans while the site plan is under review. This early review option may save time for a builder who has complete building and architectural plans but it not yet ready to apply for permits.
Approvals or Permits Issued
- Approval of townhouse building plans as “typical”
Key Steps in the Process
- The applicant completes an initial submittal package for each building and receives a Transaction Number.
- The Development Services Department reviews and approves all documents in the submittal package. When they have been approved, the Transaction Number becomes the Typical Number, to be used in all subsequent submittals involving the same building plans.
- The applicant provides a digital copy of the approved building drawings and truss drawings on a CD to the Development Services Customer Service Center.
|Required for Submittal|
Submit all documents to the Development Services Customer Service Center.
|Required for Some Projects|
Required for developments with building plans already approved as “typical:”
Expected Processing Time
- See Development Fee Schedule for specific fees.
- The Development Services Customer Service Center processes payments.
- Payment types include: cash, MasterCard, Visa or check made payable to the City of Raleigh.
Use this Fee Calculator to obtain an estimate of Building and Trade Permit Fees.
Include the following "box" on each plot plan:
Typical Plan # ______________________
First Floor, Foot Print (Incl. Garage and Opt.) ________SF
Total SF of Unit w/ all Options ________SF
Basement ______ Slab ______ Crawl _______
Incl. Options: __________________________________
Call for appropriate inspections at required milestones.