Blount Street - Person Street Phase I Implementation
- Bicycle/Pedestrian Project
- $3.26 million ($680,000 City, $2,010,000 Federal, $575,000 State (includes design and reserve)
- Roadway Design and Construction (Lead)
- Transportation Planning
- City of Raleigh Department of Transportation
- Stewart Engineering, Inc. (Project Design Consultant)
- Sepi Engineering, (Contract Engineering Inspection)
- CACs: Central, North Central, Mordecai
Updated July 12
We had a Pre-Construction Meeting on July 11. During the meeting, residents had the opportunity to meet the project manager and contractor and ask questions related to the project.
Construction is scheduled to begin in August. More information and a construction schedule will be posted soon.
The first phase of
implementation for the Blount St. - Person St. Corridor Plan.
It will include:
- Resurfacing for Blount and Person streets from Edenton Street to Wake Forest Road.
- Resurfacing for Wake Forest Road from Person Street to Brookside Drive.
- Upgraded curb ramps in the area where the streets are being resurfaced.
- Road diet conversion for Wake Forest Road from existing four lanes to three lanes, including a center turn lane and bike lanes (Person Street to Brookside Drive)
- Conversion of Blount and Person streets from existing two or three lanes to two lanes with bike lane from Wake Forest Road to Hoke Street;
- Most on-street parking is expected to stay the same along the corridor;
- Some part-time parking will be made full-time;
- Some parking will be added; and,
- Some parking is proposed to be removed.
- Bicycle facilities south of Hoke Street to connect to the Walnut Creek Greenway Trail at South Wilmington Street.
The project is being funded partly via the FFY17 CAMPO Locally Administered Projects Program (LAPP), the City of Raleigh 2013 Transportation Bond, and NCDOT State Resurfacing funds.
|July 2013||Adopted Corridor Plan|
|November 2013||Transportation Bond Referendum|
|July 2015||Bond Funds Available|
|January 2016||Design Contract Awarded|
|Spring 2016||LAPP Grant Awarded|
|May 16, 2016||25% Design Open House|
|May 4, 2017||75% Design Open House|
|Sept. 2017||NCDOT Resurfacing Funding Awarded|
|April 2, 2019||Award Construction Contract|
|Dec. 2019||Construction Complete|
On July 16, 2013, the Raleigh City Council approved the
Blount Street/Person Street Corridor Plan. The Blount Street/Person
Street corridor extends more than five miles from Capital Boulevard to
I-40 and includes Wake Forest Road and Hammond Road. The core of the
corridor is the pair of one-way streets Blount and Person streets.
The 2013 Transportation Bond included funding for Phase One implementation. This phase includes restriping of the corridor, including the addition of bicycle lanes, a turn lane on Wake Forest Road. This funding has been supplemented with a federal grant through CAMPO’s Locally Administered Projects Program (LAPP).