Blue Ridge Rd. Bike/Ped Improvements Project
- Bicycle/Pedestrian Project
- 7.8 Million
- Roadway Design and Construction (Lead)
- City of Raleigh Department of Transportation
- A. Morton Thomas & Associates, Inc. (Project Design Consultant)
- Northwest and West (CACs)
Updated Nov. 26
The Blue Ridge Road Bicycle/Pedestrian Improvements Project is now an Engineering Services, Roadway Design & Construction project. The design consultant, A. Morton Thomas & Associates, and Roadway Design & Construction are working on the design plans. There is a Design Plans Public Meeting scheduled for April 2019.
The City is completing the project in two phases. Phase I was the planning and development stage of the project. Phase I of the project included public involvement which helped to dictate the preliminary plans for the project.
The project is now in phase II. Phase II of the project includes completing final design plans through construction.
The Scope of the project includes:
- Protected bicycle lanes and sidewalks from Trinity Drive to Reedy Creek Road;
- Fully protected, and separate defined space for motor vehicles, pedestrians, and cyclists at the intersection of Reedy Creek Road and the North Carolina Museum of Art driveway at Blue Ridge Road; and,
- A new “signature” bicycle-pedestrian bridge over Wade Avenue.
|August 2012||Adopted District Plan|
|July 8, 2016||Walking Audit with Corridor Stakeholders|
|September 15, 2016||Appearance Commission and Parks, Recreation, and Greenway Advisory Board Presentations|
|September 19, 2016||Bicycle & Pedestrians Advisory Commission Presentation|
|Fall 2016||Preliminary Design and Cost Estimate|
|October 2016||LAPP Funding Application Due|
|Spring 2017||Project did not earn 2018 LAPP funding|
|Summer 2017||Project did not earn 2018 LAPP funding|
|Summer 2018||Becomes Roadway Design & Construction Project|
|April 2019||Design Plans Public Meeting|
|July 2019||City Council Presentation|
|Jan. 2020||Complete Right of Way and Easement Acquisition|
|Jan. 2020||Advertise for Construction Bids|
|Spring 2020||Award Construction Contract|
|Spring 2021||Project Complete|
The Blue Ridge Road Bicycle/Pedestrian Improvement Project is an implementation step of the Blue Ridge Road District Study.
The City is completing the project in two phases. Phase I included the design concepts for pedestrian and bicycle facilities in the corridor, including right-of-way and construction estimates, project delivery schedules, and potential funding sources. Public involvement was critical during this phase and input dictated the selection of a preferred alternative.
The project is now in Phase II, which includes the final design and construction of roadway and sidewalk improvements.