A Temporary Event Permit allows a business to hold outdoor activities that would otherwise be prohibited. A business must obtain a permit to hold a temporary event for more than one day or to hold more than four temporary events in one year on the same premises.
A Temporary Event Permit allows one temporary event a year lasting a maximum of 20 days, three individual weekend events, or both. A weekend event is considered to be three days. A temporary business, such as the seasonal sales of fireworks or pumpkins, may hold one event for a maximum of 20 days per calendar year per location.
Sales of Christmas trees, greens and outdoor ornaments that take place Nov. 15-Dec. 31 require a Temporary Event Permit.
- A temporary event must be a use permitted within the zoning district and, with the exception of landscaping, must meet applicable zoning, conditional use, special use permit and setback requirements. Call the Zoning Division at 919-996-2474 to determine whether the property is eligible for a Temporary Event Permit.
- All outdoor activities must end by 11 p.m. if they are within 500 feet of a dwelling, congregate care or congregate living structure.
- Flood and display lighting must be shaded, shielded, or directed so that the light intensity or brightness does not disturb surrounding property. Lighting must not exceed four-tenths maintained foot-candle illumination at property lines in a residential zoning district or on a lot occupied by a dwelling, congregate care or congregate living structure.
- An event must comply with all flood-prone area regulations of Part 10 Chapter 4.
- An event may not encroach on public rights-of-way.
- An event may place a maximum of five signs, totaling 64 square feet of portable and windblown signage permitted by the Raleigh City Code. The property owner’s permission is required for an event to place signs. Signs may not be placed on any public right-of-way or other public property. Signs must be removed within 24 hours after the event has concluded.
- An applicant who needs temporary signage only should obtain a Temporary Event Sign Permit.
Approvals or Permits Issued
- Temporary Event Permit
|Required for Submittal||Submit application and related documents to the Development Services Customer Service Center, One Exchange Plaza, 1 Exchange Plaza, Suite 400, Raleigh, NC 27601 |
Hours: Monday-Friday (except holidays) 8:00 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.
- If a tent exceeding 400 square feet will be erected during the outdoor activity, a flame retardant certification is required. In addition, the Office of the Fire Marshal must perform an inspection of the tent. Contact Office of the Fire Marshal to schedule an inspection.
- Temporary event permit allows you to have a temporary sign but one can get a temporary sign permit without having a temporary event permit.
Expected Processing Time
Applications submitted prior to 4:00 p.m. will be processed the next business day. Applications submitted after 4:00 p.m. will be processed within two business days. If it is determined that a project does not meet the Permitting Next Day criteria, applicants will be notified that the project will be moved to an alternative permitting process.