Unified Development Ordinance, 4th supplement, September 2017

Part 10A: Unified Development Ordinance City of Raleigh, North Carolina 9 – 6 Effective Date: September 01, 2013 Supp. No. 4 CHAPTER 9. ​NATURAL RESOURCE PROTECTION | Article 9.1. ​Tree Conservation Sec. 9.1.6. ​Permitted Tree Disturbing Activities E. Payment In Lieu of Compliance 1. Requests for fee-in-lieu payments will be considered, but not limited to, the following cases: a. Site condtions caused by man-made or natural topography that would require use of a retaining wall where the cost of wall construction would be greater than the fee-in-lieu for the area being relieved from compliance. In such cases, justification must be provided to demonstrate there are no alternate methods of construction other than use of a retaining wall. Quotes from 3 independent design firms or contractors must be provided to estimate the construction cost of the retaining wall; and b. Site conditions where the existence of priority areas under Sec. 9.1.4.B.1.c. and Sec. 9.1.4.B.1.d. render a site undevelopable. 2. General conditions for all fee-in-lieu requests. a. No primary tree conservation area is eligible for a fee-in-lieu payment. b. Fee-in-lieu payments for tree conservation area will not be considered when the objective is to develop the site without regard for the tree conservation priorities of Sec. 9.1.4. c. Fee-in-lieu payments for tree conservation area will not be considered when the objective is to achieve increased site visibility at the expense of tree conservation. d. Prior to requesting a monetary payment in lieu of compliance, the applicant must examine alternate methods to preserve the required tree conservation priority areas. Upon submittal of a fee-in-lieu request, the applicant must provide proof of consideration of alternatives and justification why the alternatives are not feasible. The City may require that additional alternate methods be examined. e. Alternative methods to preserve tree conservation areas include but are not limited to: re-design of the subdivision or site plan, use of retaining walls, alternate methods of construction (such as trex decking in place of concrete sidewalk) and arboricultural practices that include active tree preservation (such as root pruning of no more than 30% of the root zone with active tree preservation aftercare) performed under supervision of a certified arborist. f. Secondary tree conservation areas approved for a fee-in-lieu payment shall be paid at a rate equal to the tax value of the land. g. All fee-in-lieu payments shall be adjusted on an annual basis using the percent change Dec-Dec column of the Consumer Price Index chart available through the US Department of Labor. 3. All collected monies, including any income derived from such monies, shall be spent either for acquisition of lands where trees will be preserved or for tree planting. The City Council shall set forth specific eligible activities for tree preservation and tree plantings. All collected monies must be spent within the same open space fee zones from which the payments were collected. Sec. 9.1.6. Permitted Tree Disturbing Activities No tree disturbing activity shall take place in designated tree conservation areas except in conformity with the following. A. Within Zone 2 of Neuse River Riparian Buffers and in watercourse buffers in a -MPOD, permitted tree disturbing activities are allowed for: 1. Any work that is ancillary to activities allowed by the North Carolina Division ofWater Quality in Zone 1 that is approved by the City; 2. Any sanitary sewer installation when an existing permanent structure or any part of an existing permanent structure that is to remain on the site is within the width of the proposed permanent and temporary construction sanitary sewer easement plus 10 feet; and 3. More than 50% of a reach of sanitary sewer main will be over 12 feet deep. B. Within primary tree conservation areas and secondary tree conservation areas tree disturbing activities are allowed when all of the following are met. 1. A tree conservation permit is obtained from the Planning and Development Officer. Tree conservation permits may be issued for one or more of the following: a. A certified arborist, registered forester or a licensed landscape architect certifies to the City in writing that the tree is either unsafe or is unhealthy. No certification is required if it can be shown that the tree died of natural causes and the dead tree is replaced in accordance with the replacement standards of this Article.