Isabella Cannon Park
Last updated May 11, 2018 - 10:38 am
- Park Managed by: Jaycee Community Center
- Year 1937 | Acres 3.5
- View Park Status Alerts
- Formerly known as Gardner Street Neighborhood Park. It was renamed to honor Raleigh's female mayor, Isabella Cannon, who died at the age of 97 on February 13, 2002.
- First climbing boulder in the Raleigh Parks System.
Post Occupancy Evaluation
- Improvements are being implemented throughout the park based on the feedback received from a July 2013 Park User Survey.
- The work is being done by Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Resources staff with assistance from volunteers. Volunteer workdays were held on March 12 and April 22.
- Work includes:
- Replacing dead, dying and missing trees. (Complete)
- Installing a new double grill adjacent to the picnic shelter and removing the old grill located on the shaded hillside (Complete).
- Pressure washing the basketball court (Complete), painting the goal posts (Not yet complete) and adding 3-point lines, four square and hopscotch to the court (Complete).
- Improving the drainage and reseeding between the loop path and the playground as well as around the climbing boulder (Complete).
- Adding a wooden staircase from the park to Pogue Street and split rail fence along Pogue to encourage use of existing entrances (Complete).
- Improving turf throughout the park (Complete).
- Replacing the playground mulch with new mulch (Complete).
- Adding a Big Belly Compactor for Trash and Recycling at the Picnic Shelter (Not yet complete)
- Landscaping and adding plants to the no-mow meadow area. (Complete)
- The boulder is 8’ x 12’ x 8’
- Specifically designed to offers various levels of climbing challenge for kids, teens and adults
- One side is easily scampered up by older kids while another offers an overhang creating a challenge for those into bouldering.
To rent a shelter please contact the Jaycee Community Center at 919-996-6833 View other shelter locations
- Capacity: 15-35
- 4 tables
- Double grill
- $7/hr to rent
- No electricity
Courts are typically available first come, first serve. View other court locations
Outdoor Basketball Court
- Concrete surface
- Woodchip surface