5 Ways to Stay Safe During a Hurricane
During hurricane season, Raleigh can receive nearly 20 inches of rain between September and October. When there is this much rain, flooding is likely to occur. This happens with storms when a lot of rain falls in a short period of time with heavy winds. While there are many flood control measures in place in Raleigh to prevent significant flooding, floods cannot be completely prevented, especially in areas directly surrounding creeks and other waterways.
Here are five tips from the Stormwater Management Division to help you during hurricane season:
1. Place sandbags in areas where water may enter your home.
2. Cover your windows and glass doors with plywood to protect against high winds.
3. Move furniture and other valuables to higher ground.
4. Have your emergency plan and kit ready.
5. Leave your home if your neighborhood is evacuated.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) also offers a helpful emergency preparedness checklist.
This article was originally printed in the Stormwater Management Division's Urban Watersheds publication. Subscribe to learn more and to receive stormwater-related news.