Public Records Requests

Last updated Sep. 16, 2019 - 6:00 pm

Please be specific and thorough about what you are requesting. The more information you provide the quicker and more accurate the response will be. You may be asked to clarify your request. Please submit your request only once. Submitting duplicate requests or submitting a request to more than one person will delay the response.

Step 1 - Check Existing Online Records

Many frequently-requested items are available online.

We have building permits and CO’s on file going back to the year 2000. They are available on our Online Development Center. Please note that we only have records going back to the year 2000. You can use Wake County’s Real Estate page to determine the age of building.
Once a building has received a CO, the Fire Marshal’s office is responsible for conducting inspections. You can check for fire code violations here:
The Fire Marshal’s Office also handles above and underground storage tanks:
Please contact the Public Utilities Department Utility Billing for dates of water/sewer connection.
Please contact the Fire Marshal’s Office regarding information on hazardous material/storage tanks.

Step 2 - Submit a Request, if Needed

Can't find what you need through one of the links above? Public records requests can be made through our online form.

Please include as much detail as possible to help assure the completeness and accuracy of the City's response. The complexity of the request and the amount of City resources required to fulfill the request will determine the amount of time needed to compile the response.

If you would like to make a request by phone please call 919-996-3100 and ask for David Blount.

Was this page helpful?

The Brookings Institution named Raleigh

Among the World's 50 Leading Economic Growth Areas

View our accolades >>