Frequently Called Numbers

Last updated May 21, 2019 - 2:57 pm

Contact information for some of the most common questions across various departments and services.

Applications For Employment

View current employment positions with the City

A list of vacant positions can be viewed twenty-four (24) hours a day, seven (7) days a week from any computer with internet access.

Learn about the City's application process

An online application is required for all City of Raleigh positions.

Building Permits, Inspections and Zoning

Development Services brings uniformity and efficiency for plan review and permitting functions to the building and design community. The main line phone number is: 919-996-2495

Citizen Service Request (SeeClickFix online mapping application)

This application allows citizens to use an interactive map to precisely pinpoint and describe issues, such as Graffiti, Potholes, Drainage, Signals/Signs, Parks/Trails and Water/Sewer. The appropriate City of Raleigh staff will be alerted and a response coordinated to ensure satisfactory resolution.

Report an Issue using SeeClickFix

Report damaged streets, potholes and other general street maintenance problems on City right of way at or by calling 919-996-6446.

Report clogged storm drains on City right of way at or by calling 919-996-6446.

To determine is a street is maintained by the City, visit the Interactive Street Maintenance Map.

Claims (Injury or Property Damage)

If you have been involved in an incident and/or accident which resulted in bodily injury or property damage and wish to file a claim against the City of Raleigh, a City of Raleigh Claim Form must be completed and submitted. Please complete the claim form below and e-mail, fax or mail to the Risk Management Division as directed on the claim form. Upon receipt of the claim, the City’s Claims Administrator will contact you. An investigation must be conducted into the claim before a final decision on liability and/or payment(s) will be made. The process of determining liability will depend upon the nature of the claim.

Contact Information:
Risk Management
PO Box 590
Raleigh, NC 20602-0590
Phone: 919-996-2240
Fax: 919-996-7228

City of Raleigh Claim Form

Comments or Accolades

Like a program or want to comment on someone's good work? Email us!

Discolored Drinking Water

To report brown, cloudy, bad smelling or tasting drinking water call the Public Utilities Division at 919-996-2870.

Drainage Complaints


For issues regarding clogged storm drains on City right of way.

Call 919-996-6446 or email

Private Property

Call 919-996-3940 or email

For water/sewer emergencies

  • call 919-996-3245 (24/7)


If you spot graffiti call 919-996-6001 or email

Missed Garbage/Recycling/Yard Waste Pickup

Missing or Damaged Street Signs

Call 919-996-6608 on weekdays (9am-4pm)


Neighborhood Traffic Management

For issues regarding speed humps, stop signs, speed limit reductions, etc.

Call 919-996-4066 or email


To issue a noise complaint, call 919-831-6311 or 919-996-3335

For information on noise ordinances, call 919-996-3040

Police Information

Always call 911 in the case of an emergency

For non-emergency calls, please call 919-831-6311 or 919-996-3335

To report a concern with a City of Raleigh police officer, call Internal Affairs at 919-996-3155

The Raleigh police information desk does not have specific information on Wake County court dates/traffic violations/district attorney questions. The number to call is 919-755-4117

Potholes, Damaged Streets, General Street Maintenance Problems

Report damaged streets, potholes and other general street maintenance problems on City right of way at or by calling 919-996-6446.

To determine if a street is maintained by the City, visit the Interactive Street Maintenance Map.

Problem with Citizen Services and/or City Employees

Call 919-996-3077 or email

Public Nuisances

For issues regarding overgrown grass, trash or abandoned vehicles on private property, etc. Call 919-996-2444

For abandoned cars on city streets, call 919-831-6311 or 919-996-3335

Public Records Requests

Requests can be made one of three ways:

  • Form Requests
  • Written Requests
  • Phone Call, 919-996-3100
Learn more about Public Records Requests

Sidewalk Repair

Submit a report using the Online Sidewalk Repair Form or by calling 919-996-6446

Street Light Repair

For requests or evaluations 919-996-4045

Report light as malfunctioning

  • Progress Energy 800-419-6356 - Press option 3
  • Duke Energy 800-474-6300
  • Wake Electric Membership Corp 800-777-9898

Traffic Signal Malfunctions

Call 919-996-3020 or email

Customer Care and Billing

Customer Care and Billing is part of the City of Raleigh's Public Utilities Department, and services approximately 183,000 customers in Raleigh, Garner, Knightdale, Rolesville, Wake Forest, Wendell and Zebulon. Accounts are billed monthly. Bills are sent to customers electronically or by mail.

Learn More About Customer Care and Billing

Water Conservation Violations or Information

Water or Sewer Emergencies

Call 919-996-3245 (24/7)

Website Support

If you experience website issues related to functionality (i.e. broken links, pages not loading properly, etc.) please email the Information Technology Web Team.

For other general website comments, email us.

Who To Call For Everything Else

Call 919-996-3000

919-996-3107 (TDD)

Was this page helpful? named Raleigh

2nd Most Family-Friendly City

View our accolades >>