Environmental Advisory Board
The online application for the 2018 Environmental Awards program is open and closes on January 26, 2018. The Environmental Awards program recognizes individuals and organizations that are good stewards of the environment in Raleigh. The 2018 Environmental Awards Celebration will be held on Thursday, March 22, 2018 at the old City Market at 214 Martin Street in Downtown Raleigh. The program will begin at 6:30 p.m.
Learn more about the Environmental Awards program.
The City of Raleigh presented the 2017 Environmental Awards on April 25, 2017 at Fletcher Theater.
- February 8, 2018
- 5:00 pm
- Meets: Every second Thursday
- Raleigh Municipal Building
- 222 W. Hargett Street
- Raleigh, NC 27601
- Recent Minutes
The public is welcome to attend. Board members are available to speak with civic groups, neighborhood associations, Scout troops, schools, and other community groups specifically about the Environmental Advisory Board.
If you would like to be added to the mailing list for the meetings or if you would like to contact a member, please e-mail us.
The Environmental Advisory Board is an all volunteer board created by the City Council in 2006. The City Council established the board to advise them on matters related to environmental quality and to promote communication between various governmental units and the public on environmental protection standards and policies including communication. The City Council also deemed it in the public interest and affirmed the importance of protecting the environment by creating the board that provides the Council with expert and comprehensive advice on various matters related to environmental quality and safety.
The specific actions that have been taken by the City Council from the board are:
- The establishment of a goal of 20% reduction in fossil fuel consumption by the city fleet from 2006 levels within 5 years.
- Established Energy Efficient Building Standards - LEED Silver Certification for all new city construction and additions encompassing 10, 000 gross square feet or more.
- Endorsed the U.S. Mayors Climate Protection Agreement, committing to develop a Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reduction Strategy for the City of Raleigh.
- Accepted the comments and suggestions from the board's collaborative review of the environmental policies in the 2030 Comprehensive Plan to enhance the sustainable aspects.
- Received the report from the board on development incentives and policies that encourage sustainable practices among private development and which would be the most applicable to Raleigh.
- Supports the City of Raleigh's Annual Environmental Awards program.
- Graham Smith
- Larry Larson
- Todd Kennedy
- Aranzazu Lascurain
- Anya Gordon
- Beverley Clark
- Robert Gelblum
- Justin Senkbeil
- Brian Starkey
Search Archived Minutes by Year