Mayor's Committee for Persons with Disabilities
Addressing the Needs of People with Disabilities and their Families
- September 20, 2018
- 12 noon - 1 p.m.
- Meets: Every third Thursday
- Raleigh Municipal Building
- 222 West Hargett Street
- Room 305
- Raleigh, NC 27601
- Recent Minutes
2018 MCPD Annual Awards Banquet
Tuesday, October 30, 2018
11:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Doubletree by Hilton/Brownstone Hotel, 1707 Hillsborough Street, Raleigh, NC 27605
The Raleigh Mayor's Committee for Persons with Disabilities embraces the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and therefore in fulfillment of its mission is a strong supporter of the choices made by people with disabilities to participate in the employment, economic, social and political life of Raleigh. As a demonstration of its commitment to its mission, the Raleigh Mayor's Committee for Persons with Disabilities annually acknowledges employers, businesses, agencies and individuals in the Raleigh community whose work reveals an understanding of the value and full meaning of access to employment, business, local government services and the community as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act. The 2018 Annual Awards Banquet theme is “The Journey and the Joys of Disability Advocacy” with NCCDD Public Policy Analyst Erika Hagensen as our featured speaker. A catered lunch will be served.
Free RSVP/Registration. The deadline to register ends October 12, 2018.
The committee helps people with disabilities to participate in the economic and social life of the community. To this end, the committee promotes employment of people with disabilities and communicates their needs to local leaders and the public. The committee also sponsors activities benefiting people with disabilities and their families.
- Advise the mayor and City Council on matters of concern to citizens with disabilities.
- Address environmental and attitudinal barriers preventing equal access by citizens with disabilities to education, recreation, employment, transportation, and housing.
- Promote public awareness of the talents and abilities of persons with disabilities.
- Inform citizens with disabilities of programs, services and opportunities available to them within the public and private sectors.
At the annual awards banquet, the committee recognizes outstanding contributions by individuals or groups who have made a significant impact on the community of persons with disabilities. Awards include:
- Employer of the Year (Small, Medium and Large categories)
- Citizen Involvement Award
- Lockhart Follin-Mace Advocacy Award
- James E. Meekins Award for an individual with a disability
- Excellence in Transportation
- Excellence in Housing
- Excellence in Recreation
- Media Award (Television, Print, Radio categories)
- Supervisor of the Year
Awareness and education play a large role in the employment of persons with disabilities. For this reason, the committee presents seminars for personnel officers and other representatives of major employers in the Raleigh area. Presenters at the seminars speak with conviction and from personal experience about employing people with disabilities. Committee members also provide information to employers about adaptive equipment to enhance the working skills of people with disabilities.
The Housing Committee acts as a liaison between the City and its citizens on issues related to the availability and accessibility of housing. The committee works closely with individuals and families seeking affordable, accessible housing.
The Transportation Committee acts a liaison between the City and its citizens on issues regarding the accessibility of transportation. The committee works with the City to ensure that the transportation needs of people with disabilities are being addressed.
- Robert Owens
- Ricky Scott
- Vice Chair
- Sharon Benton
- Lori Millette
- Secretary, Chair of Nomination and Scholarship Committee
- Robert Parrish
- Chair of Housing Committee
- Shakema McClean
- Chair of Employment Resources
- Tara Waters
- Chair of Awards Banquet
- Andy Landes
- Chair of Health and Wellness
- Philip Woodward
- Chair of Public Information Committee
- Bob Evans
- Chair of Recreation Committee
- Suzette Harrington
- Chair of Public Access
- Kathy Brack
- Chair of Transportation
- Donnie Best
- Lawrence Carter
- Paula Coppola
- Fred Johnson
- Alice Kelly
- Ronnie Marshall
- Julia Matthews-McClain
- Ginger Rush