Glenwood South Hospitality District

Last updated May 23, 2016 - 10:36 am

The Raleigh City Council has established the Glenwood South Hospitality in an attempt to address concerns that the outdoor amplification noise permits adversely impacted surrounding residences. The ordinance that established the district provides clarity and specifics for outdoor noise levels. It also outlines an approach to resolving complaints. This one-year pilot is scheduled to run through Nov. 30, 2015.

The new district is bounded by Peace Street to the north and Hillsborough Street to the south and roughly encompasses the businesses within those blocks.

Permit / Complaint Process

Hospitality District Entertainment Permits will replace Amplified Entertainment and Outdoor Amplified Entertainment permits within the district. It also creates a system for registering complaints that is available to the general public. Businesses within the district must designate premises manager available to the public concerning operations whenever the business is open, occupied, or when employees are on site. The ordinance establishes a mediation process for resolving noise complaints as well as an escalating series of civil penalties for violations of the permit provisions.

Apply for a Permit

Contact Businesses / Create Online Complaint

The Glenwood South Hospitality District map provides contact information for outdoor amplification noise permit holders within the designated district. The red dots indicate the locations of businesses holding Hospitality District Entertainment Permits (HDEP’s). Once the map has opened, the dots to view the business’ contact information or create an online complaint.

Citizen Complaint Process

  1. Communicate directly with the business. Contact information for permitted businesses is available via the Interactive Hospitality District Map;
  2. File a complaint online via the interactive map;
  3. Call 911
Interactive Glenwood South Hospitality District Map

Time and Sound Limitations

Permit holders may keep doors or windows of the establishment open when playing amplified entertainment only during the following days and times:

  • Sunday through Thursday from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.;
  • Friday through Saturday, 11 a.m. to 2 a.m.

Permit holders will be allowed to play recorded music or live acoustic music with the following time and decibel limitations:

  • No louder than 60 decibels from Sunday through Thursday, 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.;
  • No louder than 55 decibels from Sunday through Thursday, 11 p.m. to 2 a.m.;
  • No louder than 60 decibels from Friday to Saturday, 7 a.m. to 2 a.m.; and,
  • No audible sounds from the exterior of any building would be allowed from 2 a.m. to 7 a.m.
Time and Decibel (dB) Limits
Time Period
7 a.m. - 11 p.m.60 dB60 dB60 dB60 dB60 dB60 dB60 dB
11 p.m. - 2 a.m.55 dB55 dB55 dB55 dB55 dB60 dB60 dB
2 a.m. - 7 a.m.No audible sounds from the exterior of buildings allowed

Was this page helpful?

24/7 Wall Street named Raleigh

Among the Top 10 Best Run Cities in America

View our accolades >>