Common Questions - Emergency FAQ

Last updated Sep. 14, 2017 - 1:56 pm


How do I found out about bus schedules?

A: You can get information about routes and schedules for GoRaleigh buses by calling 919-485-7433. News and alerts about bus systems in the Triangle can be found at

Business Closings

How do I find out whether local businesses are closed?

A: Tune into area media outlets or visit their websites.
(For example, and

Cable Television

My cable television has gone out. Who should I call?

A: Contact your service provider.
Time Warner Cable: 1-800-TWC-Help (1-800-892-4357) | AT&T: 1-800-288-2020

Electrical Power Problems

How do I report downed power lines or a transformer fire?

A: Call 911

How do I report an electrical power outage?

A: Call your power company.

Progress Energy
919-508-5400 or 1-800-419-6356

Duke Energy
English: 1-800-769-3766 (1-800-POWERON)
Español: 1-866-427-2466 (1-866-4APAGON)

Wake Electric
919-863-6499 or 1-800-743-3155

Debris Removal

A neighbor’s tree fell in my yard, what do I do?

A: It is your responsibility, not your neighbor’s, for any damage on private property. Call your homeowners insurance company for guidance.

A City tree fell in my yard. What do I do?

A: It is the homeowner’s responsibility for any damage on private property. The City of Raleigh is not responsible for any damage that is not on City property and will not cut down and/or remove trees on private property. Contact your homeowners insurance company for guidance.

Who will pick up storm debris? What will they pick up?

A: City of Raleigh Solid Waste Service Department crews will work normal schedules and service all areas that are passable and safe. Yard waste crews will be collecting only normal yard waste material, not storm debris. All yard waste storm debris should be piled separately at your curbside and will be collected by a contractor.

A City contractor will work in the areas affected by the storms to collect storm debris.

Do not place storm debris in the street or gutter. Keep debris away from overhanging tree limbs, low utility wires, hydrants, mailboxes, trees or other structures that might hinder collection. Please do not mix any construction material with yard debris; it will not be collected. Do not put yard waste or construction debris in garbage carts; they will not be collected. The City will not collect construction debris.

Raleigh residents, businesses and contractors may take yard waste debris directly to the City’s Yard Waste Recycling Center at 900 N. New Hope Road.

Was this page helpful?

Forbes Magazine named Raleigh

Second Best City for Young Professionals

View our accolades >>