Buck Jones Road Widening Project
- Street Improvement Project
- Roadway Design and Construction (Lead)
- URS Corporation North Carolina (Project Design Consultant)
- Carolina Sunrock, LLC (Construction Contractor)
Posted Tuesday, Jan. 16
Section of Buck Jones Road to Close Beginning Jan. 22
Beginning Monday, Jan. 22, Buck Jones Road from Fieldspring Lane /Xebec Way to Wilmot Drive will be closed from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. to accommodate construction activity related to Public Utility work.
Traffic entering Buck Jones Road from Jones Franklin Road will be detoured to Vann Street to Wilmot Drive to Buck Jones Road. Traffic from Buck Jones Road will be detoured Wilmot Drive to Vann Street to Jones Franklin Road.
Transit stops located in the impacted area will be relocated between the hours of 7 a.m. and 6 p.m.
Construction crews will replace an old sanitary sewer main running between Xebec Way and Wilmot Drive. Access for residents and emergency services will be maintained at all times during the construction.
There is a temporary driveway in place for residence of Arbor Creek Apartments near the Little Sue Marketplace, and the contractor is scheduled to install a temporary walkway for pedestrian traffic within the next week.
Be aware there are lanes closures along the project corridor between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Please drive slowly through the work zone and watch for flagging operations.
To stay up to date on the project, check the website often as pages will be updated regularly, or if you would like updates sent to your email, subscribe to project updates.
The widening of Buck Jones Road will begin near Farm Gate Road and extend to Xebec Way. Street improvements will include:
- Two proposed roundabouts at Farm Gate Road and Bashford Road;
- A center turn lane for adequate turning traffic storage at the remaining intersections along the corridor;
- Marked bicycle lanes;
- Curbs and gutters;
- Culvert replacement near Bashford Road;
- New streetlights;
- Sidewalks on both sides of Buck Jones Road from Farm Gate Road to Xebec Way;
- Transit stops will be upgraded to include marked crosswalks and pedestrian refuge islands at mid-block crossings; and,
- A sidewalk installed on the west side of Buck Jones from Farm Gate to the existing bridge overpass of I-40.
|November 2, 2010||Corridor Public Meeting - 25% Design Plans|
|January 1, 2014||Design Public Meeting - 65% Design Plans|
|June - 2013||Design Public Meeting - 90% Design Plans|
|October 1, 2013||Design Public Meeting - 90% Design Plans|
|December 2015||Complete Right of Way and Easement Acquisition|
|May 2016||Advertise for Construction Contract|
|August 2016||Award Construction Contract|
|Late Summer 2018||Project Completion|
The Buck Jones Road widening project is part of the 2005 Road Bond approved by voters of the City of Raleigh. Initial design funding for the project was authorized by the Raleigh City Council as part of the 2008-09 Capital Improvement Program. Construction funding was a combination of annual allocations through the CIP program, plus an additional $4 million through the 2013 transportation bond.
This road is classified as a minor thoroughfare in the City's 2030 Comprehensive Plan. The existing roadway is primarily a two-lane roadway with inadequate turn lane accommodations at some intersections.
Existing Traffic Volume: 10,400 vehicles per day
Projected Traffic Forecast: 12,800 vehicles per day (2035)