Buck Jones Road Widening Project
- Street Improvement Project
- Roadway Design and Construction (Lead)
- URS Corporation North Carolina (Project Design Consultant)
- Carolina Sunrock, LLC (Construction Contractor)
Posted Wednesday, Nov. 15
A new traffic pattern is in place between Bashford Road and Barclay Drive, and the City’s contractor has started constructions activities that lead up to the installation of the second half of the new box culvert that runs under Buck Jones Road.
There is a temporary driveway in place for residence of Arbor Creek Apartments near the Little Sue Marketplace, and the contractor is scheduled to install a temporary walkway for pedestrian traffic within the next week.
Be aware there are lanes closures along the project corridor between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Please drive slowly through the work zone and watch for flagging operations.
To stay up to date on the project, check the website often as pages will be updated regularly, or if you would like updates sent to your email, subscribe to project updates.
The widening of Buck Jones Road will begin near Farm Gate Road and extend to Xebec Way. Street improvements will include:
- Two proposed roundabouts at Farm Gate Road and Bashford Road;
- A center turn lane for adequate turning traffic storage at the remaining intersections along the corridor;
- Marked bicycle lanes;
- Curbs and gutters;
- Culvert replacement near Bashford Road;
- New streetlights;
- Sidewalks on both sides of Buck Jones Road from Farm Gate Road to Xebec Way;
- Transit stops will be upgraded to include marked crosswalks and pedestrian refuge islands at mid-block crossings; and,
- A sidewalk installed on the west side of Buck Jones from Farm Gate to the existing bridge overpass of I-40.
|November 2, 2010||Corridor Public Meeting - 25% Design Plans|
|January 1, 2014||Design Public Meeting - 65% Design Plans|
|June - 2013||Design Public Meeting - 90% Design Plans|
|October 1, 2013||Design Public Meeting - 90% Design Plans|
|December 2015||Complete Right of Way and Easement Acquisition|
|May 2016||Advertise for Construction Contract|
|August 2016||Award Construction Contract|
|Late Summer 2018||Project Completion|
The Buck Jones Road widening project is part of the 2005 Road Bond approved by voters of the City of Raleigh. Initial design funding for the project was authorized by the Raleigh City Council as part of the 2008-09 Capital Improvement Program. Construction funding was a combination of annual allocations through the CIP program, plus an additional $4 million through the 2013 transportation bond.
This road is classified as a minor thoroughfare in the City's 2030 Comprehensive Plan. The existing roadway is primarily a two-lane roadway with inadequate turn lane accommodations at some intersections.
Existing Traffic Volume: 10,400 vehicles per day
Projected Traffic Forecast: 12,800 vehicles per day (2035)