Stormwater Utility Fee & Rate Information
Your stormwater fee
If you have questions about your stormwater utility fee, please contact the Stormwater Management Division at 919-996-3778 or RaleighStormwater@raleighnc.gov.
View your property on iMAPS.
The single-family rate consists of five tiers that are based on the amount of impervious surface (in square feet) of a property:
- Tier One-400 to 1000 square feet = $2.00/month
- Tier Two-1,001 to 3,870 square feet = $5.00/month
- Tier Three-3,871 to 6,620 square feet = $8.50/month
- Tier Four-6,621 to 9,500 square feet = $14.50/month
- Tier Five-Over 9,500 square feet is billed at the commercial rate= Total Impervious surfaces divided by 2,260 (1 SFEU) times $5 = monthly fee
The Commercial rate (e.g. multifamily, office, institutional, commercial industrial land uses; including single family parcels over 9,500 square feet)
- $5 per 2,260 square feet of impervious surfaces
- A commercial fee is calculated by the following formula. Total Impervious surfaces divided by 2,260 (1 SFEU) times $5 = monthly fee
One Single-Family Equivalent Unit (SFEU) represents the median impervious surface area found on a single-family property.
Note: properties with less than 400 square feet of impervious surfaces are not subject to a Stormwater fee.
To receive a credit, the detention of stormwater runoff from your property must exceed city standards for reducing the peak flow rate and volume of stormwater runoff. The Stormwater Utility Credit & Adjustment Manual describes standards that must be met in order to determine the credit percentage for your particular detention facility. You may find as part of your engineer's analysis that you could improve your detention facility and get a higher credit.