New Solar Powered Parking Meters Coming to Downtown Raleigh
Starting in mid-October, visitors to downtown will begin to notice changes to on-street metered parking. New solar-powered on-street parking meters with easy to read color screens and clear payment instructions will be installed in three waves:
Installation will begin along the Hillsborough Street Corridor, followed by the Glenwood South Corridor and the Downtown Central Business District. Installation is expected to completed by completed Jan. 30, 2020.
What’s Different About the Meters?
- Better accessibility: large backlit color screen and multi-lingual interface
- Know your plate: enter your license plate and zone number to pay
- Use a card, coins, or the Passport parking mobile appMotorists will enter their license plate number when paying for on-street parking.
This pay-by-plate technology is used by nearly every U.S. city that has upgraded meters since 2012, including Durham; Miami; Richmond, VA; Seattle; Denver; Pittsburg; Las Vegas; and Portland, OR.
New On-Street Metered Parking Hours
- Hillsborough Street Corridor: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday
- Glenwood South Corridor and Downtown Central Business District: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday
New On-Street Metered Parking Rates
- Hillsborough Street Corridor and Fayetteville Street Corridor: $1.50 per hour
- All other streets: $1.25 per hour
Changes to on-street parking meter technology, along with new rates and hours are designed to encourage more access to parking, better turnover of on-street parking spaces, and improve the customer experience. As a less expensive short-term option than most on-street parking, motorists can utilize one of the City-owned parking decks.
The Raleigh City Council approved the changes as part of the adopted FY20 budget.
Revenue from these parking changes will be reinvested in parking infrastructure, parking supply creation, safety enhancements and modernization of parking technology. A summary of on-going parking updates can be found by visiting our parking page.
As new on-street meters appear, Raleigh Parking ambassadors will be on hand to walk people through the new process and answer questions. For more information, call Raleigh Parking customer service at 919-996-3996.