Since 1792, Moore Square has been a place of gathering, reflection, entertainment, and recreation for the citizens of Raleigh. The four-acre downtown urban green space was originally conceived as one of five public green spaces for the City of Raleigh.
Moore Square is now open! Subscribe to Moore Square Communications to receive the most updated information to your email inbox on what’s happening in Moore Square.
Location: 200 S. Blount St. Raleigh, NC 27601
Total Acreage: Four acres
Boundaries: The square is bordered by East Martin Street to the south, South Person Street to the east, East Hargett Street to the north, and South Blount Street to the west.
Visitor’s Center: 226 E. Martin St. Raleigh, NC 27601 The Moore Square Visitor Center features a history exhibit detailing the historic significance of the Square and surrounding district to the city of Raleigh and a gift shop featuring local Raleigh goods and unique Moore Square souvenirs. Stop in to learn Moore! The Visitor Center is open seven days a week. Monday through Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Square Burger: Enjoy a delicious meal of burgers, hot dogs, salads, and Moore! Operated by Empire Eats, Square Burger is open seven days a week for lunch and dinner! Check out the menu here!
Events and Programs Calendar
Moore Square is committed to providing innovative, creative, and exciting programs that enhance and exemplify the mission, vision, and values for the City of Raleigh Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Resources Department. Moore Square offers a variety of programs ranging from small programs, medium and large special events.
Our programs and events fall under the following categories:
- Move Moore! - Wellness programming that engages all ages, levels, and backgrounds. Examples include: Shape Up! Fitness series, Yoga Classes, Moore Square Market.
- Moore Kids! - Programs geared towards families with children. Examples include: Giant Game Nights, Children’s Vendor Fairs, Children’s Reading Hour, Wonder Create Explore series
- Moore Square Live! - Programming that brings people together to enjoy the park and be entertained. Examples include: Moore Buskers, Play Moore Music Festival, Roaring Raleigh Lawn Party, Raleigh Rockers Breakdancing Demonstrations, Movies @ Moore
- Create Moore! - Programs that encompass the exciting arts and cultural experiences that make Downtown Raleigh a thriving and inviting place. Examples include: Art Cart, Culture Pop Ups, Handmade Holiday Market
- Tell Me Moore! - Programs that expand the mind and educate on current events, history and a variety of other topics. Examples include: Book Cart, lecture series, History tours, Raleigh Roots History Festival, Moore Square exhibit
Make sure to subscribe to the Moore Square Communications to stay up to date on all the exciting changes, programs, and events coming to Moore Square via email.
The Inaugural Raleigh Roots History Festival
Saturday, October 12, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
On Saturday, Oct 12th step back in time at the Raleigh Roots History Festival. This inaugural festival is produced by the City of Raleigh’s Historic Resources and Museums program. It is a celebration of the rich history of the founding and creation of North Carolina’s Capital City. The event will feature living history that includes a loom, a blacksmith, cooking demonstrations and a revolutionary war encampment. In addition, there will be a kid’s zone, old-fashioned games, free carriage rides and vendors. Main stage performers will include the Tryon Palace Fife & Drum Corps, Sir Walter Raleigh, Jonkonnu performers and the musical stylings of Ken Bloom.
The Roaring Raleigh Lawn Party
Saturday, October 26, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Go back in time to the Jazz Age at Raleigh’s inaugural Roaring Raleigh Lawn Party this Fall. This unique 1920’s inspired event will feature dance performances and lessons, roving entertainers, model T cars, vintage clothing vendors and more. Local favorites, Mint Julip Jazz Band will headline the main stage. Russ Wilson will DJ, the barbershop quartet, Never 4 Home will perform and the NC Youth Tap Ensemble will show off their dancing talents.
Attendees are encouraged to dress in 1920’s attire. There will prizes for best dressed and best picnic set up. Food and beverages will be available for purchase on site.
Interactive Water Feature
The interactive water feature in Moore Square is temporarily closed for improvements to create a better experience for users. It will reopen Saturday, October 5, 2019.
Rules and Regulations
- The Interactive Water Feature will operate daily April 1–October 31 from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. (weather dependent).
- The water feature is not under continuous supervision and no lifeguard is on duty. Use at your own risk.
- No pets, food, drink or glass containers allowed.
- Water feature availability is weather dependent. You must exit with any sign of thunder, lightning, or severe weather.
- Swim suits and/or appropriate attire must be worn at all times.
- Swim diapers must be worn by children who are not potty trained. Swim diapers are available for purchase in the Moore Square Visitor Center.
- No running or rough play.
- Do not drink the water feature water.
- No skateboards, rollerblades, bicycles, scooters, or wheeled toys are permitted in the water feature area.
- Any person violating rules may be required to leave the water feature area.
- In the event of a malfunction, unsanitary condition or any other non-emergency problem, call 919-996-6484
- In the event of an emergency, call 911.
Moore Square Market
The downtown Farmers Market is on the move! The Downtown Raleigh Alliance, in collaboration with Raleigh Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources is delighted to announce the new and improved downtown market is going back to its roots and moving to Moore Square for the 2019 season.
The Moore Square Market will take place June 5 and will run through October 16, every Wednesday from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
The Moore Square Market is located in the park's Martin Street Plaza.
The market planning team is currently taking vendor applications for the 2019 season for farmers, artisans and non-profit organizations. Full schedule, vendor listing and theme weeks to be announced.
Moore Square graciously acknowledges the following sponsors for their generous contributions to help make Moore Square welcoming, inviting, and fun for the entire Raleigh community:
- Event Sponsors:
- Alamo Drafthouse Cinema – Moore Movies
- Program Sponsors:
- Wegmans – Imagination Playground
Moore Square encourages corporate, private and non-profit sponsorship and partnership opportunities. As a sponsor for Moore Square, we believe in customizing a sponsorship opportunity that works for you. From branding and marketing opportunities to corporate giving, we have a broad selection of opportunities that include attaching your name to a single program, a special event, or a series of events and programs. Be an active contributor to Raleigh’s dynamic and innovative downtown cultural landscape and quality of life!
For more information, please review our Sponsorship Prospectus.
Moore Square Director
Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources
Moore Square Rentals
Moore Square offers a variety of rental opportunities from small gatherings to large events. Available rental locations include:
- Central Lawn
- Central Plaza
- Martin Plaza
- Hargett Room
- Blount Room