Pullen Arts Center Improvement Plan
- $6 million
- Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources (Lead)
- Office of Raleigh Arts
On May 7, 2019, City Council awarded a construction contract for the Pullen Arts Center Improvements project to Focus Design Builders.
Phase 1: Conceptual Study
This phase will take about a year. Key steps include:
- Selection of a design consultant (completed). Clearscapes Architecture awarded.
- Situational assessment and establishment of a citizen planning committee.
- Conceptual study during which the consultant will assess the current building and site and recommend a design concept.
- Presentation of the conceptual plan to the Parks, Recreation and Greenway Advisory Board and City Council for approval.
This phase will take about 2.5 years, including about one year for design and permitting and about 18 months for construction. It will require the hiring of design and construction contractors. Key steps include:
- Development of schematic design based on the conceptual plan.
- Public engagement and input on the schematic design.
- Presentation of the schematic plan to the Parks, Recreation and Greenway Advisory Board and City Council for approval.
- Completion of construction documents and permitting.
- Bidding and construction.
|Spring 2016||Complete Study|
|Summer - Winter 2017||Design|
|Winter 2017 - Fall 2018||Permitting|
|Fall 2018 - Spring 2019||Bidding|
|Summer 2019 - Summer 2020||Construction|
Since 1961, Pullen Arts Center has served as an arts education facility for artists of all skill levels. The parks bond referendum approved by voters in fall 2014 includes $6 million for improvements at the Pullen Arts Center and the surrounding north side of Pullen Park. The existing arts center building is located at 105 Pullen Road and houses a variety of programs including: pottery, painting, jewelry, printmaking, glass, arts-based summer camps for children with support spaces for administration, meetings, gallery, and operation. Improvements are needed to accommodate the growth and popularity of arts education programming at Pullen Arts Center over the last four decades as well as incorporate new technology and equipment. The existing facility will undergo a full renovation and expansion.